1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS is a wild ride. Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by brantley, Nov 17, 2014.

1. brantley

brantley New Member

So my back pain has been reduced to near nothing and now my ears are ringing. Anyone have any experience with this? I think it's odd that this started as my back is now feeling better. More proof for my example sheet I suppose.

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

System imperative at work you have it on the run .....keep doing the sep mediate and laugh often at it

3. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Brantley and welcome.

I've had tinnitus too, and like you, it occurred once my foot pain dissolved.. I agree with Boston, it does sound like your TMS is jumping around, as if often does. The SEP recovery program will definitely help you at this stage. I would also highly recommend Steve Ozanich's book: The Great Pain Deception. In his book he describes his tinnitus, saying:

"I developed severe tinnitus, which increased in proportion to my tension and attention levels" he then refers to Louise Hay's book: You Can Heal Your Life, saying "Louise Hay has written that tinnitus is born from an inner stubbornness through an unwillingness to relent in life. There is no question that there is a stubborn component to TMS, a refusal to change direction. As with all TMS equivalents, it is the attention paid to it that keeps it in perpetuity… Tinnitus is at the top of the list when it comes to ignoring symptoms for healing. Don't listen to it. Focus attention elsewhere! I remember reading about actor William Shatner saying that the ringing in his ears became so bad… but he finally just ignored it and it went away".

I had tinnitus recently. It cropped up when I was at home cooking after a difficult day at work. I paused and thought about what was bothering me and once I acknowledged and felt the emotion of that difficult client, my tinnitus left me within an hour or so.

4. Ales

Ales New Member

Yes, symptom imperative, you can celebrate;)...in my case went from back pain, then buttocks, left leg, left knee, foot, left arm...ears ringing...it will disappear...

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I've had tinnitus off and on. It usually doesn't last very long, and goes away when ignored. Become absorbed in something you love, and it will disappear.

mike2014, Tennis Tom and Anne Walker like this.
  6. brantley

brantley New Member

Thanks for the replies everybody. I really do thank you guys and gals. The tinnitus has been going on for three weeks straight and has become aggravating. TMS is a heck of a wild ride for sure.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Brantley, I agree with the others. When I get tinnitus I distract myself by doing something I enjoy or can laugh at,
    and it goes away. If you pay attention to ringing in the ears, it won't go away.

Most everyone gets tinnitus at some time or other. It can go away or stay. Try to ignore it.
    Listen to music you like and it will probably drown out the tinnitus.

8. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

I pretty much have permanent tinnitus, but I don't notice it until I stop to think about it...

9. tmsandrew

tmsandrew Peer Supporter

yes I had severe tinnitus for about 1 1/2 years - like everything else I've had it took its place in the queue. One pain symptom went, another one arrived! It's now completely gone - I only get issues with very loud noise. The problem (like everything else) was that I started to obsess about the pain/discomfort and then modify my life around avoiding noise. This was a bad idea! I can look back and see that it was TMS because the worst it ever was was when I had a job interview - it was a really deafening ringing when I was in the interview. Clearly a mechanism for myself to try and avoid this stressful situation. Stick with it - I found that placing a finger behind my ear to feel the pulse and then deep breathing really helps if I get any flare ups. I guess it's all connected to blood flow because when I reduce my heart-rate it seems to go away....

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad you found deep breathing helped with your tinnitus. I too have it, but if I think about other things,
    it goes away. It's not harmful. Just try to ignore it.

11. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

Too funny and similar Brantley, I've had tinnitus for 30+ years and learned to ignore it mostly but since rediscovering TMS and now back pain disappatting the substitute symptom Tinnitus is louder than ever! oh yeah cool name by the way!