1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS tried a new spot, didn't work

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Waterbear, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Morning everyone!

I have a quick little TMS story for you all. It could be called a success story, I suppose. However, for me if was more like another hole in TMS’s armor.

I keep geckos as pets. I love them! Recently, I purchased two “leachies”, the largest gecko species in the world. I find them completely fascinating. Since they are large they need big pieces of wood to climb on and a big cage to live in.

Yesterday I ordered a bulk shipment of cork wood (the geckos like the cork a lot) and started to set up a huge, very heavy 55 gallon tank for them.

My friend was helping me lift the tank; we have lifted this tank many times before. It’s very, very hard to lift and move.

We needed to flip the tank on the side to clean it and I decided I was doing the flip because I’m working on doing everything I could do before TMS.

I was scared of getting hurt and sure enough, as I lifted the tank by myself, I felt a pain in my back.

I told myself, it was TMS and ran through a mental list of all the times I had successfully lifted this tank. I kept thinking this as we bought more supplies at the craft store. However, the pain wasn’t subsiding.

When we got home, however, we got into decorating the tank. I became so excited and happy to be creating a nice home for my pets, that I totally forgot about my back. I was lifting, twisting, bending. I was carrying wood over my head. After about 2 hours, I suddenly realized what had happened.

Then, I laughed at TMS and updated 2 more tanks!

TMS is sneaky. I almost never have back pain, but it tried anyway. I’m glad I put it in it’s place.

Never give up!

Sienna, Seraphina, Ellen and 3 others like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Waterbearer, this is indeed a success story. TMS practitioners agree that when you are focused on
    an activity, you don't think about pain even if it's there.

I have spent most of my life with three dogs, big black Labs, one at a time.
    Annie is 13 and still active but I know I won't have her forever.
    I'm 84 and don't take the long walks I used to with my dogs.

Geckos sounds wonderful. But I couldn't manage a big cage or two tanks.

Have fun with your darlings and they will keep you mentally and physically well.

Sienna likes this.
  3. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Hi Walt!

Pets are great! I keep 2 species, crested geckos and leachie geckos. Crested geckos are small and easy to care for. You can keep them in very light cages or even plastic bins.

I wrote something for their care here: http://www.firedupgeckos.com/care-sheet/

If you ever find yourself wanting a new little buddy, let me know and if I can't get you one, I know people who can.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Sienna likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Bravo! There is nothing like doing something you love to help you beat your TMS. My hands used to hurt whenever I used the computer to do work, but they were fine whenever I played a game I loved. :)

Sienna likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent TMS success story, Waterbear!

When I was growing up, we had many different animals (except cats) including, at one time, a rather large Gecko who we named Gilbert. Gilbert was a beautiful pale green color, very similar to the color of paint on our living room wall. He often escaped from his cage, and he must have liked that paint color, as well as the fact that the living room was very light and bright, because that's where he usually ended up, just hanging out on the wall. My mother particularly enjoyed it if he escaped while she had guests over, because some lady would invariably scream at the sight of Gilbert, at which point my mother liked to say "Oh, that's just Gilbert the Gecko, out taking a stroll".

~Jan

6. blake

blake Well known member

Thanks for the success story, waterbear. I'm so happy for you and hopeful for me

Pets do bring joy, don't they? We just adopted a kitten and I cannot believe how much joy it has brought to our little family.

All the best,
    Blake

JanAtheCPA likes this.