1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tooth pain. Seriously?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LouVes, Nov 3, 2018.

1. LouVes

LouVes New Member

I'm on day 7 of the programme. My pain levels in my pelvis have gone down a lot. I had a day of thigh pain along the way, then neck pain yesterday and since last night it's a toothache.
    Yes, I'm phoning my dentist as soon as it opens because obviously it should be checked out but any opinions on TMS and toothache?
    And yes, I am afraid of the pain... because we all know that appointments with the dental folk are like gold dust and who wants to wait for 2 weeks with a toothache if this is real?
    Must point out that I have no pelvic, thigh or neck pain now though.
    Ugh. So annoyed. And so tired of it all. Seriously.

2. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Hi, yes, tooth pain can be TMS. And a change of symptoms is very typical. You could see it like this: your symptoms is on the run because you now recognize it for what it really is.
    I had serious tooth pain before I got married (to the guy I got divorced from many years later). This was clearly TMS. I was so much in doubt about the marriage but did not want to do anything about it. Unfortunately the dentist extracted the tooth although there was no inflammation visible. The pain didn’t stop, so it was clear that the tooth was not the cause. So, my advice is always: if they cannot find a clear cause for the tooth pain, then wait a bit. It might vanish by itself.
    Anyway, good that you get your teeth checked!
    And nice that the other symptoms vanish!

LouVes likes this.
  3. LouVes

LouVes New Member

Thanks for your reply. I hope you didn't have a wedding photo with a gaping hole where the tooth had been!
    Ok, I'm actually really angry because yesterday evening and this morning I finally gave in and took paracetamol. The pain is horrible dental pain and I was making progress on my pelvic pain and now I feel that I've compromised it all by taking drugs for the tooth.
    I have a dental appointment on Thursday and I'll definitely post here afterwards to say what happened. I think it's important because most of the posts on TMS and teeth have the same question as mine but the poster never comes back to say if it was TMS or a medical problem. That said, all the answers the posters have got to their question have been interesting to read! Just like yours.

4. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Don’t worry, you are not compromising your TMS work by taking paracetamol. The overall goal is important here and that is being good to yourself! If it is excruciating tooth pain you need to do something about it. Can you feel something at the gum underneath the tooth? If there is a root infection it can be felt like a little bulge, and it also hurts.
    Anyway, yes, keep us informed!
    And no, the wedding picture was ok, however the marriage was not

Lizzy likes this.
  5. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

I’ve had this too (seriously, everything!). When I saw my dentist, she said my tooth was fine but that a tight cheek muscle can refer pain and make it feel like a tooth ache. She then felt that muscle and I almost jumped. Sound like TMS??

Hope this is the same for you!

6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

YES tooth pain can be TMS. I just got over a spell last week (I mentioned it in another post)

I was suspicious immediately because It was when A. My Mom almost died that morning B. I was in an argument with my son C. Dealing with family finance and decision making with my less than-easy-to-approach brother. D. had to play 'nice' with my ex-wife who was seated next to me at a family function

Also, like TMS anywhere, I couldn't really pinpoint where the pain was, yet it got so intense it felt like an ice pick. I just used the usual therapy (turning my attention to a source of irritation) and it went to almost zero. I had a dental cleaning scheduled and when I was there they said there is NOTHING wrong with any of the teeth in that area (and I got some messed up deep south, Tennessee teeth)

The problems aren't all over, but the pain is gone

MWsunin12 likes this.
  7. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Like hoolie stated, tooth pain from TMS is often accompanied by one or more tight muscles (masseter, temporalis, digastric). Been there, kicked it, so can you.