1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 27 Traveling / Upcoming Event Anxiety

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Apr 24, 2017.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Today's journal entry is about flare ups caused by strong emotions. In 2015, about 25 days into my first attempt at this SEP, I traveled out of state for my annual vacation. I was worried about the potential pain during what was supposed to be a week of enjoyment. The vacation was meant to be a physically demanding week spent at Glacier National Park in Montana. I had planned on hiking in the mountains, fishing, and whitewater rafting. I was eager to use the knowledge from the SEP to overcome my upper back pain. The morning of departure, I was filled with anxiety. I had never felt that nervous and scared about anything in my life. The pain was steadily increasing as I finished packing and put my bags in the car. By the time I reached the airport, I couldn't carry a thing. I was immobilized, and the slightest bump to my right side from anybody was pure agony. I was in so much pain, I barely remember the actual 2 1/2 hour flight. By the time I had reached the hotel, I was in tears. I layed in bed for the entire week, helpless. I didn't leave the hotel once. Sadly, this ordeal led me down the path of more doctor visits, pain killers, and physical therapy. I abandoned the TMS treatment. The physical treatments were helpful only in the short term. I was able to return to work within 2 months. I "managed" the pain. One year later, I decided to give the vacation another try. This time, with help from a licensed therapist, I was able to do many of the activities with minimal to moderate pain and try to block out the anxiety as much as possible. While I haven't had to deal with the pain level I experienced in 2015, the thought of having to "manage" my pain for the forseeable future led me back to this forum and program.

This topic comes at an interesting time for me. I am headed to Oregon in about 2 weeks to visit some family and house-sit/dog-sit for my dad. While this trip is totally different than my 2015 vacation, the thought about potential pain has crossed my mind in recent days. I'm in a better place psychologically today than 2 years ago. For those of you that have overcome TMS and travel anxiety in particular, what tools have helped you?

- Matt

CRICH and HattieNC like this.
  2. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

This is Glacier National Park, by the way. I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HattieNC and Ryan like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

That place is awesome. I used to back pack and fly fish there when I was younger. In my eyes it is the best hidden gem in the outdoors world in the mountains. I have been all over in different mountain areas accross the United states and that place is the best. Not many know about it, thanks for the pictures brought up some awesome memories.

Let go the worries and go have fun

Ryan

MSZ812 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Matt. I wish I could go to Oregon with you. Ryan has posted some beautiful photos. I think you should picture yourself enjoying the natural beauty of where you are going. I've spent some wonderful vacations on wilderness canoe trips in the Minnesota-Ontario Boundary Waters. When I'm under stress, I visualize myself paddling a canoe on one of the beautiful lakes, listening to the loons calling to each other. You're going to store up some wonderful new vacation memories. And have fun with that dog! I wish you all the best!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Matt, sorry. I said Ryan posted the photos, but it was you.

6. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Absolutely, Walt! I'm excited to be in a different place/climate. And I love that dog. She's a 12 year old German Shepherd, and was actually our family dog just prior to my parents splitting up. She has slowed down a little because of her age, but is a great companion and is really good in the car. I'll be spoiling her with car rides and trips to the surrounding state parks.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I bet the dog will love being reunited with you.