1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Unlearn your Pain Program Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Michael Reinvented, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

I am keen to clarify that I am following Doc Schubiners Progam correctly.

As with the SEP, week one journaling is required from 3 main topics. (1) Past events (2) Present Stressors (3) TMS Contributing Personality Traits.

Am I correct in journaling on just one topic for approx 5 mins (Cluster write) then 1 X 10 mins feelings about this topic , then 1 X 10 mins understandings about this topic?

2. Susan

Susan Peer Supporter

Michael,

That is how I did the Schubiner Week One work. Watch out for any compulsive, perfectionistic takeover that tells you one issue is good so journaling on all three will bring quicker recovery. Healing will take as long as it takes. I have been at this since late June with Sarno and the SEP and then the Schubiner program. I have experienced great improvement but not at 100% yet.

I know I am on the right path. You are, too. Working through your repressed emotions and memories takes on more power the longer you follow the methodology of both Sarno and Schubiner or whomever resonates with you. Many professionals have much value for us all. I have said it before, I write a Weekly Accomplishments List so I can look back and see how far I have come. Even if it is one or two things the first weeks, this has been a validating strategy for me.

Best to you.

Susan

3. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

Thanks Susan. AND....

I really like your idea about a weekly list. Simple yet affirming move in a complex, sometimes mind numbing process.

4. 2BT4U

2BT4U New Member

I'm just starting Dr. Howard's book program and wondering if anyone has used it? Can someone here give me an example of for the "list of past traumatic stressful events" ?

1. Issue....
    Anger/ Resentment...
    Guilt shame....
    Sadness/Grief...
    Love/letting go...
    Lessons learned...
    Actions...

I'm just a little puzzled by things like this and need a little guidance ....

Example of what I think I'm to write....

1. Issue.... Brother was to watch me while parents out. I went to the fridge to nab a piece of cake had knife ready to cut cake. Suddenly brother grabbed my hand and says drop it!
    Anger/ Resentment... Anger. Resentment towards brother for doing that
    Guilt shame.... Do I leave this blank?
    Sadness/Grief... Do I leave this blank?
    Love/letting go... Not sure about this?...leave it blank?
    Lessons learned... Don't touch the cake!
    Actions... Not sure about this?

Thank you so much,

5. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I have used it. I need to get back to it, in fact. I constantly adapt it to what has relevance to me. I think that whatever comes to mind and has meaning to you is what you "should" write.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Michael, I like what the others have posted in reply to you. riv44 is right: write whatever has meaning to you.

I think you are on the right track with the way you wrote about your brother. My older brother was mean to me and our sister because he had to look after us while our folks worked. He nearly killed me a couple of times. In journaling, I realized why he was so bad to me and I was able to forgive him. (He had passed on before I could forgive him, but I did it in my heart and it helped me a lot).

7. 2BT4U

2BT4U New Member

I think it's me ...trying to make sure it's....well...done correctly and perfect!

Has anyone else here done the book program ?

Thanks

8. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I feel this books just keep you stuck in the tms quick sand all these insane writing excersises.. Journaling is a great release 5-10 minutes a day along with hourly checkin with your emtions. Is very helpful and mainly start living again

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Adapt adapt adapt. No one says you have to follow everything.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  10. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I loved the Unlearn Your Pain program, it has actually changed my life; it wasn't easy, but well worth it.
    However, I think that it is important to find what works for you, we are all different! If it doesn't help you, then try something else... and never expect to do anything perfectly; that never works... believe me, I've tried. ;)

11. Boston Redsox

Please excuse me if I have offended anybody regarding this work book, It was not my place to discredit Dr S work yes I found it helpful but to redundant.
    For me to go over the same issues is exhausting and I also I feel that things that happened in the past ( TO A DEGREE) really have no bearing on the tms pain we suffer in the present. I feel its the way we handle these emotions on a day to day basis, if we don't handle them correctly we just keep filling our river of rage.

12. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I'm not offended, not at all. Like I said, we're all different.

For me, my tms symptoms are very much linked to anxiety. I've spent years avoiding facing my past; even thinking about certain events heightened my anxiety so I pushed those feelings down. It was essential to dig up stuff, face them and then let - them - go - otherwise I would just carry that darkness around. Letting things go is difficult; be it negative thoughts and emotions, or long held anger or sadness. Sometimes I feel like my pain is actually just me clinging on to things, being afraid to just let go and let things be.

I need to see my whole life, both the beautiful parts and the ugly parts and accept it all for what it is. I guess the same goes for myself - I need to accept myself for who I am and where I am. The program also enabled me to feel self-compassion and to start working on showing kindness to myself. I've been so ashamed of my health-issues and the fact that my life isn't what I had hoped for it to be. I've been through hell, I'm tired and weary, but I'm still here, still hopeful.

13. Boston Redsox

I feel the same way in all counts you somed it up perfectly Simplicity. My anxiety is really bad about facing my emotions and everything that goes with it. But i know the only way out is facing them

Simplicity likes this.
  14. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I think we are accepting of one another here. What we have in common is history of pain, but how we got there or here is very personal. I really don't ever want to have to write another letter to my mother, who died in 1984, at age 60!!! There are people in my current life who deserve my attention.

15. Boston Redsox

I ageee i think we as a tms community spend way to much time in the past that we totally disregard how we handle our emotions in the know

16. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

One doesn't have to exclude the other. ;)
    I'm at the beginning of discovering tms and for me it was very much needed.
    I totally agree, it is important to learn how to deal with the here and now, it is all we have.