1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

(Update) tms symptoms during high stress year.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NameK, Oct 30, 2020.

1. NameK

NameK Well known member

Hello everyone i hope you are all doing well.

So unfortunately as aresult of high stress through out the year because of the current ongoing pandemic.

I stayed home alot(which isn't particularly a bad thing)

However I've noticed due to recent events my tms symptoms have gotten alittle worse.

Sometime in 2018 im pretty sure I had or have etd in my ears (I get a clicking sound in them when I swallow)

Later that yeah I unfortunately got tinnitus from loud dj outdoor concert , went to a concert a few months later with ear plugs that time.

However I have now realized sometime in 2019 after that I started getting tmj symptoms including jaw clicking (jaw lock when yawning at times and it's painful)

Neck stiffness, pain,
    Shoulder stiffness pain.

And in the last week or so my tinnitus has gotten louder and its been really bothering me.

Ever since I got tinnitus I have found it impossible to relax as when i try and meditatie or in in silence its quite loud and distressing.

When I first got it didnt bother me as I only heard when I went to bed.

I also got my ear wax cleaned again in July and I ended up having a hearing test back on July and she said I dont need a hearing test for atelast 10 years.

It was a general one so I could still have high frequency loss that a standard test wouldn't pick up.

As a result of this ive also devolped something called phonophobia and I may have slight hyperacusis as a result of the anxiety to loud sounds or the fear that they are going to damage my hearing.

This has taken the joy of gaming with my headset as I fear its the reason why my tinnitus has gotten worse over the past teo years or because of my careless past in which I subjected my self to loud environments without hearing protection because we aren't really educated on it as well as we should be.

(Almost nobody where's hearing protection when at a concert or mowing there lawn, using power tools at home etc.)

It's a loop that I just get tired of and I put too much pressure on myself I hate where I'm at in life and I feel these afflictions are preventing me from being the best I can be.

I'm almost 26 with dead end job (parts truck driver that pays minimum wage don't know what I want to do as a future career, I can't afford to move out of my parents house , need a new car im in debt.

And my only relief from this stress is playing video games (which i feel isn't productive although fun ) and its was weightlifting before I had tms symptoms but with the pandemic I wouldn't risk going to a gym anytime soon.

I just don't know what to do.

2. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

Have you noticed how all these “problems” are the kind of thing you could will yourself to push through and accomplish what you want? You could decide that whether it’s TMS or not (it is) you will make a plan to address what’s “not right” in your life.

The illusion is that you are in control of this stuff. The pains, ringing ears, etc. If it was real you’d have to deal with it. Accept it, be miserable, or die are the 3 choice. Choose the 1st and the other 2 just seem crazy(they are.).

If you are using video games to procrastinate from doing things you KNOW for a fact would better your life, stop lying to yourself. If the gaming is just a hobby and absolutely not an escape from reality, stop bullying yourself.

You are young. That’s to say it’s good you are tackling this. That pressure is likely fear of judgement from others in your life. That judgement you fear is the judgement you’d apply toward somebody else in that situation.

At some point you realize this is all based on a type of fear. The human psyche in general works that way. Observe yourself always. Eventually this should become evident. Once you see this your life plan will likely change bc you don’t need consider other people’s view of you, and you realize yours was manipulated by emotions.

This is all based on 1 man’s personal experience, so I hope it does apply and is helpful.

3. NameK

NameK Well known member

Thank you for responding i definitely get what your saying in sense my life is run by fear and based on how my family percieves me

I feel like I'm not as successful as I could be in life and as a result I've been dealing with all of these emotions that I've suppressed?

The main symptoms that are bothering me are tinnitus and I think I've devolved a fear of loud sounds and noises sensitivity as a result of worsening my my tinnitus also known as a form hyperacusis.

Its just hard for me to accept it as tms given the nature of how little we know about what actually causes it.

We know its likely a brain issue and not your ear cells or synapse being dead or broke as the traditional medical community thinks but they also aren't right about alot of things

I saw an audiologist my standard 8hz hearing test came back normal but I never got my high frequency hearing up to 16 hz tested so I could have hearing loss on those ranges.

My doctor didn't think it was necessary for me to see an ent which is alittle odd given I've had sinus issues since my surgery and infection after it back on 2011 I got non allergic rhinitis.

And I have symptoms of tmj and some of etd as well