1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Viral Infection or TMS - unable to judge it by myself

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SebastianM, May 26, 2017.

1. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

3 weeks ago I got a cold. Cough and aching throat were the main symptoms.. nothing unnormal. But instead of accepting to be ill I went on and rushed through the days. I did not want to miss a lesson at university and blocked the desire of my body to stay in bed. My body would have needed a break to fight against the virus.

After one week (2 weeks ago) the cough and the aching throat were away. But I felt a strong weakness and headache (spreading thorugh my ears, my paranasal sinus and my frontal sinus). Leaving my home is possible but afterwards I am that much exhasuted that I need to lie on my couch or bed and have a sleep or rest.

So I decided to go to a doctor. He said that everything is fine. My blood is okay and he is of the opinion that I need more time to overcome and to fight the virus. Seems to be a typical type of a viral infection.

I know myself very well. I have big problems to accept that I am ill or am not 100% "in function". Moreover I have problems to trust in my body that he is able to heal himself. Yes, typical for TMS..

Now I come to my question:
    I think about my state of mind and of my body. Could it be TMS, this weakness and headache? Or is it "only" the viral infection and I can't do anything but waiting that my body beats it.

The treatment of these two options is quite different and is mutually exclusive:

Option 1: "only" a viral infection -> keep calm and drink tea, no or less activity
    Option 2: TMS -> think psychological and move on, become active

I know that no one is able to give me a 100% judgement or diagnosis. But, I would be grateful if you could share your opinion or experience (if you have any) concerning my "problem". I read @Steve Ozanich 's "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION" at the moment. It motivates me highly to be much more acitive after overcoming my actual state. But therefore I have to decide what's best for me at the moment.

Thank's for your support.

Greetings
    Sebastian

2. SebastianM

Hi everyone,

yesterday I made the decision to treat it like TMS. It felt great and I was very confident. But today it is horrible. I am going to a birthday party of a friend in a town 400 km from my home over night.
    It is a hot day and the roadtrip to him was very exhausting. My symptoms increased.. dizziness, fatigue, headache.. now I am full of fear and it's difficult to calm myself down. I again and again have the thought that I damage my body and that it was the wrong decision. It's a constant up and down.

Do you have an advice for me?

3. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

You already made the decision, stop perseverating and make the most of it. Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but it was the choice you made. Might as well be present and enjoy yourself and your friends as best you can. Plan some rest for when you return.

4. SebastianM

You are right. Thank you very much! When I came home I was happy to have made this decision. It was great to see my friends :).

My problem is the fear and panic cycle. I have always the same habit which brings me into it:

Before going to bed, while waking up and/or when I have symptoms I hear very strong in my body and start to think about the next days/weeks. I am not sure if I am able to manage them. The first reaction is panic and fear. I begin to brood. In each of these situations I have to convince my brain that I am healthy or am able to become healthy again. Mostly it works. But I have this pattern very often during the day. I think that there are a few percent in me which are not 100% convinced that the symptoms are not TMS and that I harm myself by moving out of my bed/flat because there could be still a viral infection.

Maybe you can imagine what I mean. It's tricky. If I have too much time to think about the symptoms or they become too strong, the cycle begins. It's the typical pattern that TMSers have, I think.

And by writing this post, I realize that I do not know what I try to achieve. I know many methods to calm myself down but in these very strong fear and panic moments nothing seems to help. Only a person who tells me that everything will be good and that I do not harm myself. If I would not know TMS, I would go to a doctor AGAIN.... He would only tell me: "If I hear your symptoms and compare them to the last examinations, I think it's a viral infection.."

Oh man..

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

Most of us need to believe 100% to recover, you don't need any doctors or anyone on this site to tell you what to believe. Only you will be able persuade your subconscious mind. Tell yourself you are healing and will recover, and believe it. Train your brain for health and the body will follow.

Celayne likes this.
  6. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

I don't know that your two options are mutually exclusive as you say. Sometimes our bodies can be tired and need rest. I think if you don't think about whether it's a virus or TMS (just know your body can handle both of those situations), then if you're just really tired and run down some days, it's ok to rest. I don't think we need to put so much pressure on ourselves to go go go every minute to prove we can overcome TMS. Just know it's ok to take a break, but to get back on track with being active, so we keep active in general. I'm talking to myself here, too, but am curious if those who have healed more than I have have a different opinion.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  7. SebastianM

It's easier said than done. But of course, you are completely right ;)

I could revise my panic concerning this decision and your post is supporting my state of mind, thank you very much.

Psychology and physiology are very complex. Black OR white thinking is not possible. Neither in the one direction nor in the other.. I made the mistake to follow the physical OR psychologial point of view. But in this situation it seems to be a mixture.

8. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi Sebastián ,

Interesting topic : i have the same problem!
    Since i found out about tms i cannot get a normal cold : let alone get the flu without analyzing it : is this a virus is it tms ? And really it is not helpfull ,
    People do get a virus sometimes and i do not that it is all tms . So being able to act like a normal sick person with a virus would be better. Drink, rest etc you know. I have not been able because i spend a couple of sick day wondering about 'what is behind it psychological and stressing and thinkin : not making me better for sure
    I am scared this is tms in a different form : not even been able to be 'normaly sick ' but even anylizing that .
    Ofcourse stress lowers the immune system and you get a virus easier when you are stressed or tired. But calling everything tms is too much i guess.

Karina

9. SebastianM

That's the point. The body is busy with the "real" problem and I recognize that the grumbling about TMS issues comes on top and weakens the immune system.

Yes, I know what you mean. I have the same thoughts like you.

I meanwhile know what's the cause. It's an angina in the side of my throat. My Docotr told me that it's viral caused and that "my body has to do it on his own". Okay, that's exactly what I feared. Years ago I lost the trust in the self-heal-skills of my body.

But one thing he said made me confident: "Some people develop a chronic fatigue syndrome."
    My first reaction was: I laughed inside of me and got a wave of trust and conviction.. This is a proof that TMS exists. I am convinced that "chronic fatigue syndrome" is another explanation for "I have no idea what's wrong with you and here you have a diagnosis but it's not possible to heal you".

Moreover he told me to be more active, to try things and rest if I am exhausted. After I left him two days ago I was optimistic. I know about TMS and I have a little illness at the moment. So I try to be active, to reactivate my inner strength (physically and psychologically). But I tend to overanalyse and overreact after activities: every increase of symptoms sends a shockwave of fear through my body. There are thoughts like "Oh damn, was it too much? Do I make it worse now? Should I after all stay in bed? and so on"... . I think you can imagine what I mean. I recognize these thoughts, I know them very well. I try not to listen to them, to let them pass along but it's very difficult. The impact is self-destroying and in these situations it's hard to stay positive. I really would like to get the trust in my body back but I think that it will be a hard and long way. There will be the moment where I am totally convinced, I am quite sure. I know that no one can help me to reach this point but talking about your and my own story and reading success stories and TMS stuff are so invaluable for me.

Reading that you,@karinabrown, have similar experiences gives me hope and confidence.. Do you still have this problem?

Greetings
    Sebastian

10. karinabrown

Hi Sebastián,

Yes i still do. Not trusting my body is the same as you mentioned.
    And my fear of being sick is always
    been there even before i got into chronic pain. I think i have a problem when i am sick to 'surender' to that proces and just 'wait it out'
    I must feel that i am doing something
    usefull (see the tmsingin in that thought )
    In stead of 'laying around' waiting to get better. I guess this is a childhood thing seeing my mother always getting on with things even while she was sick. She did not expected that of us kids but maybe deep down being sick makes me feel helpless and useless , and without controle what so ever and i hate that.
    That is a eyeopener i had some time ago . And maybe it time to learn how to be a bit more gentle with myself ? Its not a dissaster to loose a couple of days out sick. and when it comes to being tired for a longer period and being sickish
    Well al this thinkin and analyzing sure will not help improve things.
    I do not know about how long you have been sick for your doctors to talk about chronic fatique' but it sounds way over the top for a virus?
    So i think for me its a combination: learn to take care of my body : so When i get sick , just take it easy and get rest. The active part can come when its better. For the psychological part i think the analizing is the tms part. Thinkin about why , how long. Etc etc
    Note : the above i mean in case of a comon cold or virus. With persistant pain or issues i think its different : then thinkin about the psychological part is important tms work.
    Do i make some sence ?

Greetings
    Karina

11. SebastianM

Hi Karina,

funny... that's 100% percent me :D. I have the same habit. But I think by having this knowledge about our mind and habits is the fundament for your healing. I am convinced that being mindful can be an effective way to overcome these selfdestructive habits.

This sounds logical. It's interesting that you could discover this. Are you in therapy or doing the SEP or another TMS work?

Yes, that's right but easier said than done :p. It's not easy to be steady and calm down. The mind is that much programmed to force the body forward that it's difficult to slow it down and to counter this strong force. Do you use affirmations or methods to daily remind you of this destructive behaviour or to calm down if it appears in the present moment?

I have these symptoms since 4 weeks but since a few days I realize that they are mostly related to stress. I am having a hard time at the moment. Yesterday I had something like a panic attack. I have difficulties to calm down, to be mindfull and in my inner middle. There's a clear connection between my thoughts and my symptoms. If the psychologial thing is solved, my body will be healthy too. But of course, the physical symptoms do not make it better... TMS work, meditation and relaxing are my next steps, not thinking about events in the next week(end), only day to day thinking.

Of course! ;)

Greetings
    Sebastian

12. karinabrown

Hi Sebastián,

No i am not in therapy, some insides come with experience and age
    I am a bit surprised you mentioned fatique syndrome mentioned by your doctor after 4 weeks. That can't be logical in my opinion.
    You asked me what i do in case of panic etc : breathing exercizes and trying to get my mind on other things. Hard work it is, and working too hard on that is also useless : like 'ordening' yourself to fall into sleep : it can't be forced
    Like those funny cartoons that say : i have to relax now !!! With a upsetface next to it.

Karina

13. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I recently read an interesting study in a book: turns out that in one experiment, 100 people were exposed to a cold virus (it was placed in their nose!)...however only 30 of them developed actual cold symptoms! Interesting, isn't it? The study didn't specifically measure their immune responses but it just goes to show you that exposure to a virus doesn't inevitably cause a cold. Similarly, cold symptoms could occur in absence of an actual virus. It's not as simple as it seems! My take on this is to treat them the same...honor your body, take it easy without babying yourself, know your immune system is out of whack temporarily whether it was purely TMS or a virus you are reacting to possibly due to TMS reasons (lower immune function overall due to stress).

jaumeb and Tennis Tom like this.
  14. SebastianM

Hi,

The doctor did not diagnose it. He only told me that something like chronic fatigue COULD develop. I do not worry about it but I know that I would worry about it if he had told me this one year ago.

You are so right. That's the typical behaviour which I always tend to have. Black or white thinking... Since I know that I try to be more balanced. The golden middle is the key but sometimes not easy to find.

That is really interesting! This morning I again read in @Steve Ozanich 's book about placebos and nocebos. It's amazing how strong our imagination and believe in therapies, diagnoses and all types of symptoms can be.

Thank's for this advice. Here we are again: the golden middle :). I should tattoo it on my forehead :D.

The most shoking fact is that most stress I feel, comes from myself... expectations, people-pleasing, being good and so on... I see the vicious cycle very clear. But it's still a hard fight to overcome some selfdestructive habits/thoughts. But I will do it.

Thank's for your support :)