1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Watch These Two TMS Videos and ALL Your Questions Will Be Answered

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Edit: the one with Dr. Rashbaum appears below the John Stossel 20/20 TV segment. It does a great job of explaining the fundamentals of TMS. It's all anyone should need to understand TMS theory. TMS isn't rocket science, but there is a need to understand the psychological process by which the unconscious creates the pains, thereby overcoming the misdiagnosis of allopathic medicine.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    map76, Dorado, sam908 and 3 others like this.
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Much gratitude for posting this.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

God Bless Ira Rashbaum. This talk may be the most elegant explanation of TMS that I have heard to date. I'd encourage everyone to listen to it and I'd particularly urge newcomers or the confused to listen to the last five minutes where Dr. Rashbaum details common misconceptions about TMS. This is a wonderfully clarifying segment that breezes through the same-old stumbling blocks we see discussed here time and time again.

I also appreciated the mention of the tms-hybrid. This strikes me as a very useful point which may benefit those with more complicated and more serious diagnosis.

All in all it's given me a real TMS shot in the arm and much to reflect upon and as a tms veteran that is really quite nice.

Cheers Tom. Your indefatigable loyalty to Dr. Sarno bears beautifully ripe fruit. beerbuds

MWsunin12 and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Hi TT
    I could not locate the Dr. Rashbaum video. Can you post the exact name of this video as it reads on YouTube? I saw a number of different ones but do not think any were the one you had forwarded.
    Thanks
    Lainey

5. Tennis Tom

I googled "Dr. Sarno Methodology Lecture", it did come up for me, but maybe where you are located it's blocked by the ruskies or the north koreans--I clicked on the second video down with the picture of Dr. Sarno. The lecture is being held at an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue, and Dr. Rashbaum is introduced by the Rabbi.

6. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

for people not familiar with dr. Rashbaum, he took over Dr. Sarno's practice at NYU...

plum likes this.
  7. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

[/QUOTE]

How did you guess this? I mean the rusky and NK influence here. Being a native son (so to speak since I'm a daughter) of Washington D.C. it is difficult to get away from all of this subterfuge. I fondly remember the youthful bliss of getting away from all of the D.C. frenzy when I lived a few years on the west coast. Sigh.
    Anyway, I found the youtube video.
    Thanks.
    Lainey

8. Tennis Tom

Oh, I spent a couple of days in DC once, didn't get to do much sightseeing except through the window of cabs. I was attending a performance by the Supremes at the SCOTUS Theatre--nice room, good acoustics, Rhenquist was the lead singer. The rusky and N. Korea influence starts on the left coast with piroshkies and kim-chee. By the time the stomach politics works it's way across ol' US HW 50 to DC, through the blizzards in the Sierras, and Rockies, the tornadoes in the Mid West, it can become heart-burn for the rest of the country. Did get to eat some Chinese downtown and play some tennis at the Army-Navy Club in Arlington. It was around Easter, a bit chilly and damp.

Glad you found the video of Dr. Rashbaum, it's pretty good, all one may need to get the TMS concept for a change of mind on their pain.

Cheers,
    tt

9. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Ha! I'll try to remember to pass that one on to a friend who clerked for the supremes some years back, Justice Stevens I believe.
    Thanks, I just finished the video. It was good.
    Lainey

Tennis Tom likes this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Oh yes, we do use a lot of nexeum here. Very tasty.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  11. ChronicVince

ChronicVince Peer Supporter

12. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@ChronicVince
    These posts you are asking are very old, 2017, the other one 2015.
    Books by Dr. Sarno are easily available to read.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed,Cactusflower!

@ChronicVince, please don't take this personally, because obviously you are not the only one who does this. This obsession to spend valuable time obtaining ancient videos is a classic example of your TMS brain trying to distract you from doing the real work. In other words, THIS, right here, THIS is your brain on TMS.

Accept the two videos that are right in front of you on this thread, and move forward into the future. Start doing the SEP, and use the forum to discover other resources.

Choosing to remain stuck in the past is a good way to let your fearful brain win. There is no doubt that Dr Sarno was a visionary in the way he was able to get the word out, and I will always recommend The Divided Mind as a first book for learning about TMS, but as he himself would have acknowledged, he was not the first, and he's hardly the last, in the world of the mindbody connection. Heck, the professional board of the PPDA (ppdassociation.org) doesn't even use the term TMS anymore. Look them up. And then look to the future.

14. JanAtheCPA

15. ChronicVince

Thanks @Cactusflower and @JanAtheCPA for this true insight... :)
    I thought the conferences where more detailed than the books, and looking for the true essence of it.
    I have only read "The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain" in french version "Le Meilleur anti-douleur c'est votre cerveau" and have done the first Alan Gordon program.
    Thanks a lot for the advice and for redirecting me toward the current ressources of PPD and Mindbody.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  16. JanAtheCPA

It can't be easy accessing TMS information from another country, since it is mostly in english. Bonne travail et continuez comme ça !
    (that's about all I can manage from studying French 50 years ago :rolleyes:)

17. ChronicVince

Très bien alors, bravo et merci ;)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  18. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@ChronicVince
    Because there is no tms help in Paris, my friend used an EMDR therapist to help him with chronic health issues and anxiety. They understand mind body connection and it has helped him greatly!

19. ChronicVince

Thank you for this idea @Cactusflower but I already tried to EMDR psychiatrist without any real effect. And I talked about the Mindbody concept to the last one... that replied "Oh you needed a book to understand that ?"
    When I asked for therapists that could help me in Lyon where I live, she told me a name of a street with several therapists arguing they all can do that...

20. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Thanks for posting these videos!! Great to have them accessible--watched both and got a lot out of them.

JanAtheCPA likes this.