1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Yes, back again too

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jon, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon New Member

I started the recovery programme and got through to day 10 but found I could not find the time to do all the writing. I have sciatica and in the last 6 months have got more tingling in both feet and legs. This started after a holiday with my then partner and left her after a wonderful time feeling really sad and abandoned. Since then have another partner who is great and very supportive but this gives me some stress too - what a strange thing our minds are! In between though I got numbness in my hands and practiced my TMS to tell me it was mind body and used the affirmation techniques with relaxation. With the support of friends I got over this in 3 - 4 months. Now just have to work harder on the tingling legs. I am getting a second MRI to make sure it is nothing caused by a serious condition. I just need to keep being positive. My friend got out of a wheel chair after getting over the psychological problems of her rheumatoid arthritis so she, and the rest of this site give me great hope and strength. Sometimes I think this is all a bit like a 12 step programme sharing strength, hope and experience.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've never done any 12-step program like AA but think you are right, that Dr. Sarno's theories about TMS and
    the Structured Educational program are like them. TMS healing techniques are steps to gaining strength and hope
    and freeing ourselves of pain.

I'm not sure what a second MRI will do for you if the fist one didn't find that anything
    seriously structural is wrong with you. Your subconscious may have "got it" that you have discovered
    most of the causes of your symptoms... from repressed emotions and/or perfectionist or "goodist" personality,
    so it is focusing on tingling legs so you keep working on the psychological cause(s) of your pain.

When the second MRI shows nothing structural, or at least nothing serious, then you can jump in with both feet
    and work on believing 100 percent that the leg tingling is from TMS.

3. Jon

Jon New Member

Thanks for your reply Walt and your endless support on this forum. I think I am getting eth second MRI as confirmation as the tingling is new since March after I had a steroid injection and went on a long walk. Affirmation that nothing is new should help me a lot. And if there is by chance anything physically different then I can deal with that too. The need to know the greatest detail of everything - how everything works is a kind of perfectionism I think ? I am trying to do more journaling this time round - you get to look at yourself in a similar way in a 12 step programme, I have been affected by someone else's addiction problems which all tie neatly together with perfectionism, low self esteem (fear, anxiety) and obsessing. So it is interesting how you say my subconscious may be keepi9ng me looking for the symptons.
    I really feel positive affirmations really help. My legs may be tingling but I can still run up the stairs, drive 500 miles in a day, change a wheel on a car etc. . Best wishes, Jon

Enrique likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Jon,
    It seems like you are doing all the right things. Focusing on stress and psychological causes, and eliminating the doubts that it is physical as best you can. Hoping you get more, good relief soon!
    Andy

5. Jon

Jon New Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply, I am starting the journaling in earnest - its my friend who has been through this before who is giving me loads of support and positive affirmation. I think it is the fear that can give me problems. Yesterday I got to no tingling or numbness so need to keep working on it. If I start thinking of it it returns to some degree.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jon. Thanks for the kind words. So many others helped me heal from severe back pain through TMS knowledge and techniques, I'm glad to be able to give some suggestions to others who need guidance in healing. I don't have a scientifically inquisitive mind. I am a former Chicago Tribune reporter and I learned to keep things simple. So with TMS I don't try to understand the psychological or physical ways to heal, I just keep it basic and simple. I had to accept 100 percent that my back ached from TMS and wasn't structural. That was the big one for me in healing. I also journaled for about two weeks,
    thinking back to my boyhood. I discovered that I had been repressing childhood traumas all my life. Discovering that I felt angry after my parents divorce, insecurity because of finances back then, my parents' divorce, my brother bullying me... all this stayed inside me and as Dr. Sarno says, developed into
    repressed rage. My subconscious came to my rescue and gave me back pain so I would discover TMS and, through understanding my parents and brother and realizing they had TMS repressed emotions, I was able to forgive them. Forgiving is really important in healing.

Try not to spend more than an hour a day thinking about TMS and journaling. Spend more time trying to ignore your symptoms and enjoy each day.
    Life in the present and not the past or future. Find ways to enjoy each day. If you can, laugh. If you can't, laugh anyway. It's am amazing release,
    as deep breathing has a profound calming effect on the mind and body.

Tennis Tom and Back-To-Golf like this.
  7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Jon

remember try to not to so much pressure on your self to heal quickly….as you progress threw your tms journey you will have good days and bad except them. don't get down on your self, remember beside your tms healing techniques take time to enjoy things you love.

Ellen likes this.
  8. Jon

Jon New Member

Yes being a bit of as perfectionist I want to get it right and see/feel progress. I am trying to be very positive and use daily affirmations which help a lot - climbing the stairs at work, doing short runs, working at a bench /computer, driving. All these things I can accomplish and sometimes the tingling/numbness almost disappears. I know if I start thinking about it or thinking of my friend who does have a serious structural back problem my legs start tingling. So it is good to know that if I continue to be positive and use this programme I will slowly improve. I have a second MRI tomorrow and hope this confirms nothing has changed! I have to be very careful of the consultant though as they can use quite scary language in a very matter of fact way. The first time I hear I had degenerative discs I was really upset - luckily Dr Sarno's book set me straight on that one. Thanks for your support it is really appreciated. I will continue to do the things I love!

9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Good stuff from Walt!

10. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Right there you are witnessing the TMS action. Observe this, learn, and don't let it scare you!! It is revealing itself to you. You are seeing behind the curtain. Wonderful!!