1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

26 with chronic pain at shoulder, knees, and back

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mcduplerr, Oct 10, 2018.

1. mcduplerr

mcduplerr New Member

Im 26 and am a regular weight lifter. Nothing heavy or crazy, just try to stay in shape. In 2016 I developed pain in both knees. doctor said it was runners knee. I did PT and it didn't get rid of it but eventually after 6 months it went away. Last January in 2017, I developed lower back pain as well as right shoulder pain at nearly same time. MRI for back showed disc herniation and MRI for shoulder showed normal so doctor diagnosed as impingment. Did PT for shoulder and gave up because no improvement. I have been going to the gym consistently despite these problems. The back pain is better than it was last year but the shoulder has gotten worse.. In 2018 I started to run a few miles every few days. My knees started hurting just like back in 2016.

I am at my wits end here. I'm constantly in pain with all 3 of these parts. But I feel like it might be TMS because I can lift and run despite the pain. Any advice? Does it sound like TMS? I do have a history with anxiety.

Sofa likes this.
  2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

From what you've said, yes, it sounds like TMS.
    a) The pain changes in intensity (your back is doing better this year than last)
    b) The pain moves around
    c) It doesn't sound structural, since the only finding was a disc herniation, and there is no correlation between disc herniation and pain. Plus the pain isn't related to any specific movement, as it would be in the case of a structural condition, like bending over always causing left-sided sciatic pain.
    d) Any injury you had would have healed long, long ago.
    e) You have a history of anxiety, which makes you (like many of us) more likely to have symptoms that are driven by emotional-psychological factors (aka TMS)

My advice:
    - Do whatever you have to to convince yourself that your body is healthy, nothing's wrong with it, and that the pain is psychologically driven. If reading works, then read. 'Healing Back Pain' is awesome. Here's a great video I think of often too. See if that does it for you. If it doesn't, find the path that really speaks to you, and drill it into your mind until you truly believe the pain is psychologically driven.
    - As much as possible, try not to be impressed by the pain. The fact that you say you're at your wits end means that the pain has captured your attention. Recovery happens when we turn our attention away from pain and back to our lives, both to the things we love and to our minds, emotions, frustrations, etc.
    - You're not alone. Read the success stories on this wiki. People have gone through hell and back, and came back to live a pain-free life. Here's a great story I think of often. (He even starts with, "If you are at your wits end" - like you wrote.) You are no different than these people, and there’s no reason you can’t recover like they did.

Any questions?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Sofa likes this.
  3. mcduplerr

mcduplerr New Member

thanks so much for the response. Yeah I mean it makes. sense. I think its crazy how I can run a few miles a week and get knee pains while there are people out there who run 50 miles a week no problem. Has to be TMS. shoulder too

4. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Great. If you believe it 100% then keep going forward not being bothered by the pain. It will lose its power over you. If it doesn't change then you can ask here for more strategies.

Sarno's twelve daily reminders
    1.The pain is due to TMS,not to a structural abnormality
    2.The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation
    3.TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions
    4.The principal emotion is my repressed ANGER
    5.TMS exists only to distract my attentions from the emotions
    6.Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear
    7.Therefore,physical activity is not dangerous
    8.And I MUST resume all normal physical activity
    9.I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain
    10.I will shift my attention from pain to the emotional issues
    11.I intend to be in control-NOT my subconscious mind
    12.I must think Psychological at all times,NOT physical

5. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like TMS to me too, @mcduplerr and @Free of Fear has given you great advice imo...especially the following:
    If it turns out you're not someone who sees results after reading Dr Sarno's books or from hearing him speak and following his 12 daily reminders, do keep reading the postings on this forum for inspiration for something that will really 'hit the spot' for you personally. I say this because it's been a bit of a struggle for me to see any profound results with my TMS, but then recently I saw a past post by fellow forum member @balto in which he recommended Dale Carnegie's book 'How to Stop Worrying and Start Living' and the things the author talks about and says to do in that book (especially on pages 203 to 206 inclusive) really 'clicked' with me and are making a difference to my pain levels (as I have discovered that I am conditioned to unconsciously and habitually tense my muscles in response to the stresses of life and - more importantly - I also tense them for no apparent reason); you can see those pages for free here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=zHBEKfn52l4C&q=Brill#v=snippet&q=Brill&f=false (How to Stop Worrying and Start Living). Other forum members have been helped by other (different) suggestions that other forum members have made...The moral of the story being - if at first you don't succeed, don't give up - keep reading the information on this site and keep on keeping going!

Sofa and Free of Fear like this.
  6. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

O.P. , If you listen to Free of Fear and Bloodmoon you should feel better. They seem to always be on the right track. They'll get us squared away for sure.

I read some of that book Bloodmoon. Good call...

BloodMoon likes this.