1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A small victory

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Larkspur, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Larkspur

Larkspur Peer Supporter

Yesterday I woke up with my usual symptoms of an impending migraine. I did progressive muscle relaxation and it went away! This was kind of a massive big deal because it never goes away...it always gets worse. So I'm feeling hopeful.

If anyone is interested this is the video I used, although I'm sure any video would work but I like this one: https://www.utoledo.edu/studentaffairs/counseling/anxietytoolbox/pmr.html (Progressive Muscle Relaxation)

It takes about 15 minutes. I like it because it's very tangible--it's easier for me than doing meditation, which I've tried soooo many times and it always feels like a struggle. With progressive muscle relaxation you have something to do, and it's effective (and evidence based) and I just find it easier. BTW, about 2 years ago I paid about $200 to do biofeedback, which turned out to be a 20 minute guided progressive muscle relaxation session while hooked up to the biofeedback machine--aka a temperature sensor. So basically I could have done it at home for free with a 15 minute youtube video and a thermometer;) I was so annoyed at being charged such an outrageous amount of money for something so basic and so brief that I never really did the practice after that. I only started up again recently out of desperation and found that...hey...it actually works!

Hope this helps someone else. And oh yeah...it's free!

HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Good twist on an old story, which is how much money so many of us spent on things that absolutely had zero value. In my case the biggest expense was custom orthotics...

Larkspur likes this.
  3. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

What's the dumbest thing you spent money on? Mine is an inversion table taking up way too much room in my grandkids toy room.

Larkspur and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Larkspur

Larkspur Peer Supporter

My dumbest expense was getting acupuncture every week for 6 months...but that's not the dumb part. The dumb part was that the acupuncturist kept "prescribing" me herbal medicines and I knew he was just fleecing me. He would give me a bottle of probiotics for $40 or $50 along with the warning to "not buy other kinds of probiotics because they don't have the potency that you get with this one that you can only buy through me" and other nonsense. And yet, as a people pleaser, I didn't want to say no to him. Even though I knew the whole time that it was a racket. And yes, I am working on my boundary issues and people pleasing behaviors. Sheesh!

Idearealist, HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. Larkspur

Larkspur Peer Supporter

Oh and a postscript...I finally found my backbone when he "prescribed" a $300 "cleanse" to get rid of the "toxins." I said no and never went back. Victory!

HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

$4000 in 2 years on chiropractors. It did give very nice temporary symptom treatment, but did nothing to fix the problem. I went twice a month on average. Now I haven't visited one in 4 months (after finding TMS wiki)

Freeing Grub, HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.