1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Gordon's programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Oct 20, 2022.

1. mbo

mbo Well known member

Alan Gordon has kindly donated to TMS Wiki, successively in time, 3 programs :

- Structured Educational Program, SEP (42 chapters/days)
    - Pain (Multimedia) Recovery Program, PRP (21 chapters/days)
    - Pain Reprocessing Therapy (Wiki), PRT (no time schedule)

Such an offer (thanks Alan!) seems a little confusing.
    Can you recommend the best option? Is it the more recent program the best and more elaborated/efficient one ?

Thanks!
    M

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Correction: the SEP was created by Forest and a number of early volunteers to the tmswiki.org forum.

Alan donated his program quite a number of years later. I never did his pain recovery program, but my sense is that it's more personal and more emotionally based right from the start, and that it's probably better for people who already have some grounding in emotional self-awareness and mindfulness. I would like others to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

PRT is a whole new process, really focused, I think, on the very topic you brought up the other day: neuropathic pain that has become neuroplastic over time, and which can be relieved with significant rewiring of the brain. My guess is that not everyone needs PRT.

Question, where did you find a PRT program donated by Alan? There's the new site about PRT, set up and run by Forest, but what I saw was informational links, and a forum for discussing Alan's book (The Way Out) chapter-by-chapter.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  3. mbo

mbo Well known member

Great, JanAtheCPA !
    Thanks for your very enlightening reply.

So, in fact Alan Gordon is just the author of Pain (Multimedia) Recovery Program, PRP (21 chapters/days), available from TMS Wiki

And Pain Reprocessing Therapy, PRT, is just a sequel (by Forest), also available from TMS Wiki, of the great book THE WAY OUT by Alan Gordon.

It's all clear !!

4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

@JanAtheCPA 's analysis of the difference between the Structured Educational Program, SEP and the https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program), PRP, is really accurate and insightful (though I hadn't thought of it like that).

I ended up doing the PRP when I had chronic fatigue, because I had already recovered from back pain and tennis elbow years ago using Dr. Sarno's books.

Alan really offers a lot of new insights and techniques for dealing with TMS that can be extremely helpful. Some of that may come from his training as a therapist. I think he has broken new ground in treating TMS.

Some folks don't click with Alan's style. It's almost deceptively light. But if you brush away the "lightness" and the anecdotes, you could find some real diamonds there. I certainly did. My only disappointment with Alan is his lack of deference to Dr. Sarno. He never mentions him in his book, other than a begrudging reference in the index. He never mentions the word TMS either.

But those are minor niggles in the grand scheme of things. He's really contributed a great deal to mind-body healing and as I say, his work has really helped me.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for confirming my perceptions, Tim, (@Cap'n Spanky)!

Back in my early days, before he donated the PRP, what we did have from Alan was two live audio webinars he conducted for us, which included some "live healing" sessions. They were really impressive and very effective for me personally. I found Alan's therapeutic style to be quite powerful! The recordings are still online here, and the links are in my list of favorite resources on my profile page.

I also wish he had been able to acknowledge the pioneering work of Dr Sarno more graciously...

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  6. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I'll have to check those webinars out, Jan. I wasn't aware of them.

Yeah, that's the only thing that irks me about Alan. It's like dismissing Einstein, because he didn't believe in quantum physics. But there's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm, otherwise, a big dan of Alan's work.

JanAtheCPA likes this.