1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 26 Anxiety and Fear

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ivanka, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Ivanka

Ivanka Peer Supporter

Today when I was journaling about my Anxiety and Fear personality trait, I figured out when my anxiety got out of control. I had this trait from before and it has gotten worse over the years, but was managable.

A year and a half ago I had a brain stroke. Since then my anxiety is over the top constantly. I try to convince myself there is nothing to worry about, that I am not in any danger... but it's impossible because in my experience you can have a brain stroke out of the blue in the middle of your afternoon nap.
    I even try to convince myself that it doesn't really matter what happens. But nothing seems to work.

My pain also increased and spread significantly after the stroke.

So now I'm constantly worried/anxious that something bad is going to happen. When I don't find anything else to worry about, then I'm afraid I'm going to have another stroke which is quite common.

I feel a bit lost here. Some advice please!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ivanka, I can't remember if I recommended an audio program for you, called Meditations to Change Your Brain, by Richard Mendius MD and Rick Hanson. The first half of the program is almost all lecture, and it teaches us how our brains are wired to be fearful all the time. A combination of modern stress and high anxiety mean that this fear mode goes into overdrive for many of us, especially those of us who end up here.

I'm pretty sure I already recommended Hope & Help For Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes. That book was the second one that saved me after Dr. Sarno, and Meditations to Change Your Brain helped me put it all together so I became able to "think psychologically" almost instantly days, whenever symptoms flare up.

In short: the answer to your question is that must learn how to take control over your fearful thoughts. It's not easy, but it can be done, and when you learn how to do it, you'll be able to do it again and again until it becomes easy and then almost automatic.

3. Ivanka

Ivanka Peer Supporter

Hi Jan,

yes you already recommended Hope & Help For Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes. The book just arrived a couple of days ago. I was really busy so today I can finally start reading.

Thank you for the other suggestion Meditations to Change Your Brain, by Richard Mendius MD and Rick Hanson. I just checked and saw this program is available on youtube free of charge. Some good news as I have very limited funds :)

Thank you so much for your reply, I will dive into the materails and get to work. It gives me comfort and hope to know it can be done. And I am willing to do the work.

4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Ivanka,

I just wanted to let you know that others are thinking of you and your situation. I can add nothing more to what Jan has suggested. However, I still want to encourage you to know that you will be able to improve your TMS and anxiety. We're all in this together to receive help and to help each other.
    Lizzy

5. Ivanka

Ivanka Peer Supporter

Thank you Lizzy, your words of support mean so much to me!!

6. westb

westb Well known member

Ivanka, I'm here thinking of you and supporting you as well. Anxiety is one of my TMS symptoms too, but I do know that there is hope although I am finding that it takes both perseverance and patience. And I'm another one who recommends Self Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes. It's become my go-to book for stressful periods. Wishing you all the best.

Lizzy likes this.
  7. Ivanka

Ivanka Peer Supporter

Thank you very much westb

I feel so fortunate to have found this forum. I always get support and good advice when I ask for it.
    And mostly I don't feel alone in this journey to becoming syptom free and also reconecting with myself and growing as a person in the process.

Lizzy likes this.