1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

ANXIETY

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Richsimm22, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Hi all ive not been on for a while but I'm doing ok I'm feeling about 90% these days and slacked off for far too long. More work to be done.

Having some anxiety issues lately on and off. Felt the need to reach out and share for others who have it or have had it in the past. mine seems to stem from fear and worry over the future. Feeling particularly anxious today as yesterday at work at the last minute I was asked to do a video interview for a corporate promotion video for the company and was asked a number of questions and I answered some ok but I was mumbling and stuttering half the time and now and some answers weren't good. Now I'm running it through my mind cringing over it and dreading sitting at work when they eventually show it. I know that it will be edited and probably be ok but its that doubt. Feels good just to get it off my chest on here to be honest. I will journal about it later.
    I have read Clare weekes book before so I know what I need to do. Ill have to go though it again. I used to think I didn't care what people thought about me but these thing show me that I do and I need to overcome that.
    I never used to be like this. Only recently always used to have bags of confidence and never anxiety. This damn mind of ours. Guess its the kick up the arse I need to get some tms work done.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're currently going through a TMS bursts, we've all experienced relapses and it can be quite frustrating. However, on the plus side you've reached 90% before, so you are already armed with the knowledge and skills to put your own healing into practice.

I think most of us, like yourself are comfortable at the 90 to 95% mark and having a quality of life, but it's really the last part which is the hardest to overcome and when we relapse, it's much worse than it was during the onset. I know that to be the case for myself.

The only advice I can give you is to really journal about your current stressor, including that of the video you created. Why do you have this limiting belief and what purpose does it serve? Once you understand the belief mechanism you can look at replacing it via affirmations. You may also want to engage in mindfulness meditation on a daily basis and embed this into your way of life.

I don't think we have to necessarily over work or stress ourselves, but repetition of physical activity combined with positive thinking can eventually create long lasting change.

Wishing you good health.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Richsimm22 likes this.
  3. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Thanks Mike. Great advice. I felt better yesterday after I can only describe as getting bored of replaying the video incident in my head. That gut ache feeling just kind of left me. It comes in waves. Sometimes i know something is bothering me and other times i feel anxious for no reason. Subconcious mind no doubt.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Richaimm. My computer likes to post before I am ready. I wanted to say that Mike gave you good advice and I would jut like to add that meditation helps in TMS healing. My favorite meditation is called the Relaxation Response. It helps to relax the mind and relieve anxiety, mental stress, headaches, and even physical pain.

A friend who is a psychiatrist says about it: “It is so good, so well established. I taught this approach to stressed out teachers, with success! It is simple, not "spiritual," and readily available. This is important: It is the practice, and becoming a habit that is powerful.”

It is done 20 minutes once or twice a day, before a meal and works best if not practiced within two hours after a meal.

Just sit, close your eyes, don’t listen to any music, try to avoid outside noises. Let your mind think of a word such as "One " which has no real meaning or association. Say the word silently over and over. At the end of the 20 minutes, picture and feel yourself as you were when you felt your best, and in a place where you felt that way.

Follow the technique below and see how fast you calm. It is similar to Transcendental Meditation but unlike that technique which many consider to be a religion or cult, and that costs $1,000 from a trained TM coach. The Relaxation Response is not a religion or cult and costs nothing.

Here is an article about the Relaxation Response and how to practice it:

Herbert Benson, M.D. documented benefits experienced through traditional forms of Christian and Jewish prayer. Benson published his Relaxation Response” method of stress reduction without the mysticism associated with TM. Short structured rest periods provide health benefits.
    Herbert Benson, M.D.
    Associate Professor of Medicine
    Harvard Medical School
    and founder of the

Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine
    824 Boylston St.
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-2508

Phone: (617) 991-0102 Toll free: (866) 509-0732
    MBMI@CareGroup.Harvard.edu

The following is the technique reprinted with permission from Dr. Herbert Benson's book
    The Relaxation Response pages 162-163

1. Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
    2. Close your eyes.
    3. Deeply relax all your muscles,
    beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face.
    Keep them relaxed.

4. Breathe through your nose.
    Become aware of your breathing.
    As you breathe out, say the word, "one"*,
    silently to yourself. For example,
    breathe in ... out, "one",- in .. out, "one", etc.
    Breathe easily and naturally.

5. Continue for 10 to 20 minutes.
    You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm.
    When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes,
    at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened.
    Do not stand up for a few minutes.

6. Do not worry about whether you are successful
    in achieving a deep level of relaxation.
    Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own pace.
    When distracting thoughts occur,
    try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them
    and return to repeating "one."

With practice, the response should come with little effort.
    Practice the technique once or twice daily,
    but not within two hours after any meal,

since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
    the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.

Richsimm22 likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Been to his clinic ....he never heard of Dr Sarno or any other doctor there they looked at me if I had 10 heads...they dish out drugs like any other Dr office. He does help cancer patients who are in a lot of pain or dieing