1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Book Anyone Read This Book Yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BruceMC, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

But does she embrace ANY mind-body connection to pain? I only read the reviews, and I see references to exercise, but not to changing your mind. There are several references to "accepting some level of pain" which we sort of do here - except that what we talk about here, is how we can relapse when we are less than mindful of our thoughts, and allow repression to take hold.

"Still, this book is at least a good expose of traditional "treatments"!

3. BruceMC

cf Chap. 9 Head Case: What Your Brain Has to Do With Your Back, p. 179.

Haven't looked at chapter 9 since I haven't bought the book yet, but it does sound interesting. Cathryn Ramin certainly does tackle the whole "unscientific" back pain industry headon. Interesting too how in one of her chapters how Ramin sets out to demonstrate the way opioid misuse perpetuates rather than relieves chronic pain. Interesting how she says that the way to overcome back pain is to just keep moving, which corroborates Sarno's prescription without going into the whole repressed emotion neo-Freudian revisionist theory behind it.

I guess I gotta buy it and read it to know more? Have to see if the author refers to Dr Sarno anywhere? Can't imagine her not taking Sarno into account.

Wonder if Steve O. or Forest have had a look at this book yet?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I couldn’t bring myself to read it for the reason Ellen mentioned. It’s definitely a small step in the right direction regarding turning away from meds and surgery but seems to take the view that most PTs have of accepting the pain and exercising. Not a terrible thing but not enlightening in the way we discuss here. I think she does talk to Sarno a bit but doesn’t really buy in.

5. BruceMC

Ellen? You mean Jan?

Would like to take peek at Chapter 9: Head Case nonetheless. Have you seen the index and is there a reference to Dr. Sarno anywhere therein? But debunking the "back industry" isn't half-bad.

6. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Good to know! I’ve heard someone say that she actually did speak with Sarno but haven’t read ornament myself. Ha, my spaced out pregnancy brain confused the two of them on another thread too...sorry again, Ellen and Jan!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. BruceMC

Here's the author's web site:

https://www.cathrynjakobsonramin.com/ (Home)

But I get the distinct impression, at least from the reviews and her own testimony, that Ramin believes that back pain and sciatica are due to sitting too much. Therefore, she prescribes moving around more to counteract the inevitable effects of age-related spinal degeneration. In other words, she still accepts the structural diagnosis for the origins of LBP. Her indictment of the whole back pain industry is telling and persuasive; however, she never seems to touch on emotional repression as one of the main causes for the psychogenic changes in the central nervous system that sets you up for TMS pain symptoms. Can't find even a passing reference to Dr Sarno and his TMS theories. I guess I'll have to go out and buy a copy and check the index. But so far, nada.