1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back Again! Burning Mouth symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by pilatesgirl, Sep 13, 2018.

1. pilatesgirl

pilatesgirl Peer Supporter

Hello, I spent a lot of time on this forum while healing from chronic pelvic pain which has since healed several years ago. My experience with pain completely transformed my life and purpose - like many of you. Since then I have experienced a few symptoms other than pelvic pain but nothing has "stuck".

Last week I started having a dry mouth and increased thirst (which I do experience when I have intense anxiety and always goes away) and then it developed into odd burning sensations on the tip and middle of my tongue, right side of my tongue, cheeks and lips. It moves around and I never have it when I sleep, take a nap and decreases when I eat. It will also change in severity during the day.

I have seen my dentist and they were familiar with it - they did not see any abnormality and prescribed "magic mouthwash" to interrupt the pain cycle. The dentist said it was an autoimmune disorder but I haven't seen that information.

I've had a very stressful year and I am enrolled in a big course coming up October 1st so it doesn't come as a big surprise that something has popped up. I am very aware of tms and pain science but when it's a new symptom it's like all my knowledge goes out the window and fear takes over. Since this is such a new symptom and one I've never had before I am still ruling out any other underlying conditions before I immerse myself in my tools. I have read some threads on here about the subject but would love to hear some success/healing stories of this symptom as they were incredibly helpful for me the last time I healed.

Thanks so much! xo Pilatesgirl

2. had

had Peer Supporter

I've had TMS symptoms in many parts of my body including the mouth. Severe dental pain that sent me down a path of worries about extractions and implants and the cost of all that. Went to dentist...nothing was wrong. Didn't believe him...went to another...nothing was wrong....didn't believe her...went to another...nothing was wrong...finally accepted it and it went away.

I also had an episode of pain in the roof of my mouth and back of throat...same rabbit hole story where I was afraid of some infection, some tonsil stone defect, some whatever...even had red spots convincing me more I had some illnesss. Doctor did tests for the usual and also weird stuff like toxoplasmosis/lyme since I have an indoor/outdoor cat and ticks around here. Everything was negative. No signs of actual infection or disease. After jumping through all those hoops and no answers it finally went away after a few months.

While it's impossible to be 100% sure 100% of the time...unless there is some obvious trauma/disease backed up by exams/tests I have learned to just try my best to accept it as TMS. Personally journalling and stuff like that doesn't help me. I just get enough evidence and then try my best to move on and not obsess...if it is going to go away then it does on it's own eventually. Unless there is some definitive disease requiring a medication or treatment, nothing like eye drops, mouth wash, supplements etc have EVER helped me. Only cost me, so personally I don't even bother with stuff like that...not because of the "if you use any treatment you are not REALLY believing it's TMS" nonsense...but because I don't want to waste the money for nothing. Even Sarno says it's fine to treat things if it helps you move forward so whatever works.

3. pilatesgirl

pilatesgirl Peer Supporter

Thank you had, for your response and your experience! You have no idea how much it helps.

It amazes me how quickly one symptom can spiral into several others - always moving around and then that's ALL you feel and think about. I had labs done today to rule out anything else and my doc took another look at my mouth - no visual sign of anything. I will begin the process of accepting and allowing without adding more tension or fear. Helps to read stories of healing too as that's what I did previously to help me believe. I had the same experience with journaling as it wasn't helpful and added more anxiety - which only increased my symptoms. I too need enough evidence then I can work on the hypervigilance. At the moment feeling a strong metallic taste in my mouth but the dryness is less and inside cheeks are fine. When you're well for so long it's easy to forget how powerful the brain is and can create the most bizarre sensations.

Thank you again for responding.

Diana Lynne likes this.
  4. had

had Peer Supporter

Yeah I've had metal tastes too at times and it can be entirely imagined, or physically caused but benign like from some food aftertaste or a random episode of acid reflux which everyone has at one time or another. In fact I was just thinking about that as I read your post and now I can taste it...so that's clearly something my mind just made happen. Evidence like that is what helps...getting symptoms when you haven't even moved or done anything, or when simply thinking of an issue...obvious TMS.

Diana Lynne, Bonnard and pilatesgirl like this.
  5. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

I am experiencing the same. Symptoms

6. fishy

fishy New Member

The autoimmune possibility is called Sjogren’s syndrome, in case you were wondering.
    The primary symptoms are dryness in the nose, mouth, eyes, joints, etc. it can cause taste changes and burning.
    It sounds unlikely if your issue is just sensation without dryness, but there you have it.

I am in the process of ruling it out myself, and need to decide today if I will allow the docs to cut my lip open in an attempt to find it or just say no thanks I will try to manage it myself. I can live with the mouth issues, but my nostrils are one big open sore all the time from dryness so I am on the fence. Very nervous and conflicted right now.

7. fishy

fishy New Member

Hey I just got back from the ear nose throat appointment and got some info there that may help.
    She noted that I massively grind my teeth at night and said that bruxism combined with tongue movements in sleep (which I know I do because I see tooth imprints on my tongue sometimes) can cause chronic irritation of the tongue and mouth that lead to symptoms like burning mouth, taste changes, dry mouth, etc. she said get a night guard from a dentist and 9 times out of 10 it clears up over a few months for her patients.
    Needless to say I am telling the rheumatologist to get bent on the biopsy fishing expedition and will try the guard for my mouth issues (she gave me an ointment for my nose also). I use an over the counter guard already but she said it isn’t the same level of protection.

anyway, hope this helps! I am so relieved to not need any drugs or more doctoring on these issues....docs make me crazy!

8. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

I dont have dryness nor any autoinmune stuff

9. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

I didnt lots of test maybe wisdom teeth or a molar

10. KellyCM41

KellyCM41 Newcomer

11. KellyCM41

KellyCM41 Newcomer

Hi! I was wondering if anything happened with the mouth guard. I clench my teeth at night, and just started using my night guard. If nothing else, it'll help with the clenching, even if it doesn't help with the BMS. The last thing I want is to have to get a crown because I cracked a tooth, ya know? I truly feel stress is the major factor in BMS. It wreaks absolute havoc on the mind body. I hope you are finding relief!

12. JessieD

JessieD Newcomer

Hi Pilates girl !
    , I was reading your post and it’s so similar to mine! I have BMS and have done for the last 4 months, burning is so intense all of my mouth, tongue and throat. Gets worse throughout the day! i do accept this is tms. Just wondering if you have healed or whether you are still experiencing these sensations!!

Thank you!
    Jess

13. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

Let me know how it went for you. It won’t help me because I wear dentures and take them out at night. If you know any more that would help please email me. [email address removed by moderator, see response at https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/burning-mouth-syndrome.2444/#post-141493 (Burning Mouth Syndrome)]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2023
  14. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Wow, I had that and forgot all about that brief symptom. I had this strong metal taste and indigestion for a couple weeks or so.
    It wasn't completely overwhelming (not affecting day-to-day that much), so I didn't fully confront it (big mistake, when I look back).

Then it got worse on an important day. I went out with a close friend for dinner and an event. It was so scary!--because we were going to a fav. restaurant of mine, and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to eat anything. I put the whole evening together.
    I also didn't want to tell my friend I wasn't feeling well, b/c I knew it was TMS and also was even a bit embarassed (like I should've been able to apply principles and ditch the symptoms).
    I got through it.....BUT what was planned as this really fun event was overshadowed by this weird symptom, like I was eating metal....

15. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hello @pilatesgirl,
    This is the part of your post that really stood out. The incoming high stress episode, and the new symptom...
    I can definitely relate to this exact TMS set-up.

By the way, did you see the other current thread dealing with Burning Mouth Syndrome:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/burning-mouth-syndrome.2444/ (Burning Mouth Syndrome)

That thread started in 2013! Yet, it's just as relevant today.....

16. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

Hi. Do you have an update? I would love to hear how you are doing.