1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back pain and other issues solved!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by sf340flier, Aug 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sf340flier

sf340flier Newcomer

In an effort to give back, I have been meaning to post this for many years. I’m happy I finally have done so and I hope this helps someone.

Back in the 1990s, I started suffering horrible back pain. No clue why at the time. I was in college and I was able to find a couch that I put an ironing board under that gave me a little comfort. After months of pain, I ended up going to the doctor. I was referred to surgery and underwent a laminectomy. Even though I was still in a little pain, the surgery seemed to help.

Many years later, I “tweaked” my back (or so I thought) which put me right back in pain. I couldn’t sleep. I couldn’t work. Doctors has me trying all types of therapy. I wasn’t improving. I was getting super depressed. I basically figured my life was over and I was only in my 20s.

Even though the internet was in its infancy, I searched tirelessly for solutions and I can across John Sarno’s name. I got his book “Healing Back Pain.” I read it cover-to-cover in one setting. I was skeptical because of all the MRIs and other tests indicating my problem was structural. To test this out, I decided I would go out to my driveway, pick up a 25 pound bag of rock salt, and apply it to my driveway. I did it. At first there was pain, but then it went away and there didn’t seem to be any long-standing issues. I couldn’t believe it...I should have been double-overed in pain. I wasn’t.

I didn’t heal that night, but I started getting better. It was a several month process, but by reading all the Sarno books I could, I triumphed. I am proof that no matter how bad the experts tell you your back is, you can overcome it.

Recently, I had to get another MRI of my abdomen due to a potential mass my doctor felt (good news, turned out just to be a benign lipoma). But when the results came back, the radiologist commented that my lower back was completely compressed along some vertebrates and there was much degenerative damage. I showed my wife and just laughed. I told her my doctor says I should be doubled over in pain, yet I’m not. I’m fine.

I know someone might read this and be thinking their pain will never heal. I used to feel that way. But know this, you will get better. If you follow the processes laid out, you will get better. You will be able to live the life you want. It’s great. You will get there. It may take longer than you want, but you will get there! Don’t ever give up!

2. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

Sf340flier
    I was so happy to read your post. One because it's great that you are not in pain anymore ; and two because it's always good to hear that you just didn't even break stride when the radiologist delivered a description of your spine that could have sent you into a spiral. But it didn't. You just blew it off. I love that!
    I hope that I can get there too. Thank you for posting.

Free of Fear and Lizzy like this.
  3. sf340flier

sf340flier Newcomer

You will get there! I know sometimes it may not seem like it, but you will...I know it! It took me many months.

Even after my back pain healed, I developed acid reflux and hemorrhoids. (I know some think the jury is out on TMS and hemorrhoids, but the pain it causes for me is 100% TMS). So, it’s always been a fight, but the one thing I have learned over the last 25 post-Sarno years, I always know I will prevail. And you will too!

There are two things that have really helped me. First, I don’t change my schedule at all for any pain manifestations. Even if I could barely roll out of bed due to the pain, I still trucked on. I think that’s the key. Once our psyche realizes the pain isn’t working as a distractor, and we’re just going to go on and enjoy life, eventually it will relent. It may get in a few shots, but ultimately we will prevail. I also never get mad at my brain. I understand it is only trying to help. In fact, I thank it often for trying to help me (I know this sounds odd, but it has helped me).

Second, I have really benefitted from the Jay Early books on self-therapy regarding IFS. In my opinion, the IFS model fits with TMS like a glove. As I read through the books, I found myself constantly having moments of clarity and understanding.

But even before the Jay Early books, I followed the methods outlined in the Sarno books and eventually found my way.

I just have no doubts you will get there too! It’s a climb, but you will summit, I just know it!

Lizzy likes this.