1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back pain relieved via Dr Gwozdz & Dr Sarno

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by BillPrinz, Mar 9, 2020.

1. BillPrinz

BillPrinz Newcomer

Following is my experience with Dr. Sarno's work via Dr. Gwozdz.

Attached Files:

Lars, jimmylaw9 and Hayley like this.
  2. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Great Bill now for the secret sauce! What was your repetitive statement plz

Lars likes this.
  3. 444

444 Peer Supporter

Yes, what was the statement?

4. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

sorry just read this post no not yet lol. Come on Bill share out the sauce lol

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations on your success! Thanks for sharing it with us.

6. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Here is the affirmation suggested by Dr. Gwozdz:

"I know that my (pain, etc.) is not due to physical causes, but instead is due to my not wanting to think about ____________."

Ellen, BloodMoon and jimmylaw9 like this.
  7. 444

444 Peer Supporter

Great, thank you Sam

8. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you very much for this, @sam908! I have a lot of stuff (past hurts etc.,) that I don't want to think about that nevertheless are always popping into my head...I had thought that that stuff was 'the problem' but, having said the affirmation suggested by Dr. Gwozdz just a few times, some other things came up that I haven't thought about in years or haven't thought about in any detail. Like @Baseball65 always says, it's the things that you think you are okay with -- or seem to be okay with -- that you really aren't okay with -- or really shouldn't be okay with -- that are the crux of the matter and are liable to be the cause of symptoms. (The various, not very pleasant thoughts that are always popping into my head aren't great for my wellbeing 'tis true, but with regard to TMS symptoms they may be a kind of 'red herring'!)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Baseball65 likes this.
  9. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Great Post This is really important right here ----
    "" I was told about Dr. Sarno at the beginning of my pain period but rejected its solution since I felt I was already doing a body-mind meditation as well as they physical therapies to relieve the mental and unconscious obstacles."" -BillPrinz

I see stuff on this forum popping up a lot... it is "New and Improved Acknowledging the Psychological" TM.
    Warm Fuzzy meditations with patchouli and mood lighting. Feel your inner child and nurture him......(BB65 rolls eyes and barfs into corner)
    Somebody has a book or a technique for sale... or they are mixing a physical treatment with Psychological work. God Bless you if that works for you, but I'll take the 'in your face' NY style candor of Dr. Sarno every time. And That dovetails nicely with;
    Sarno warned us to not turn anything into a ritual, but in this case I would say this is a treatment not a ritual. I Like it a LOT.

I have said it before and I will say it again here. I don't need answers. I need better questions. The fact that the little Mantra here ends in a blank , to me, implies that y'all need to get busy figuring out what goes into the blank. That means it's a question. Filling in the blank would constitute 100% of the 'work'.... In fact if you could fill it in properly (and for me it might have been several answers simultaneously) You are basically Free Forever. No more shamans, essential oils or guru's.... Just the wisdom of an old school Doctor from NYC, and your own honesty.... if you can swallow it....or even try.

..and (God forgive me) I would submit that the people not getting results from that treatment have a large elephant living in their den. They feed it, groom it and clean up it's shit....and when they are asked about it reply "What Elephant?..... I am looking for psychological causes of my pain ... I guess my mine must be physical because I can't seem to find any answers to put in the blank."

The answer is sitting under a pile of elephant shit. You can keep the elephant if you want, but you better start acknowledging it's there.

..and based on my own personal recovery from TMS, this Mantra style thing sounds like a GREAT therapy. If I ever get a tickle, I'll try it out. Thank You for posting it.

jrid32, jimmylaw9, BloodMoon and 2 others like this.
  10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I would like this post a hundred times if I could.

Baseball65 likes this.
  11. 444

444 Peer Supporter

In it’s simplest form the mantra sounds a lot like Dr Sarno’s daily reminder #12.

BloodMoon and Baseball65 like this.
  12. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I've not read the OP, BillPrinz's testimonial/success story above, so he may have already mentioned about this, but Dr Gwozdz was apparently a patient of Dr Sarno's back in 1987. I had a look at Dr Gwozdz's bio and see that after Dr Sarno helped him get rid of his back pain, Gwozdz left his job, went to medical school to become a doctor, and then went on to train under Dr Sarno (he writes that he believes that Dr Sarno should have been awarded the Nobel Prize for his work)...I therefore surmise that Dr Sarno would probably have approved of that 'mantra', just like you do, Baseball :).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Baseball65 likes this.
  13. Kellso

Kellso New Member

Free forever? Nice thought and I'm trying to get there. I'd imagine life on the other side of chronic pain is amazing. Not just to be free of the pain but having gained all the insight from the pain and the lessons on life after.

Let's say one knows what the "elephants" are/is, then what? In my case, I could say

"I know that my (pain, etc.) is not due to physical causes, but instead is due to my not wanting to think about being a father of 3 children". As bad and all as this seems, I think this is my reality. Do I just stare at it, accept it to let healing begin or explore it further to get better?

I enjoy your no BS approach by the way Baseball

14. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I explored it. I was father of two boys.

I wasn't actually angry about THAt. I was angry about moral imperatives to 'parent' in a politically correct manner. I was angry about the new 'modern mom' parenting abrogating true family time for 'quality time'... I was angry about a lot of the details...but my sons? Loved them.
    Became a beast like nightmare father (wife and I split)...and my two very poor sons are both outstanding men, very effective at everything they do and we are very close....oh yeah, pain free too.