1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back pain when I breathe in, is this TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by InfinityLines, Mar 28, 2021.

1. InfinityLines

InfinityLines New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've had chronic back pain for 5 years which I believe to be TMS. Recently I've noticed I get pain in my mid/upper left side of the back when I breathe through my chest, if I breathe through my stomach I don't feel it. Is this part of my TMS?

Thanks

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sure, why not? Mind you, I can't diagnose TMS based on a two-line post - especially considering I'm an accountant, not a medical professional :D - therefore our permanent disclaimer says that you should be medically checked out if a new symptom concerns you.

That being said, based on my lay person's understanding of physiology vs. neurology, I certainly can assure you that our brains are capable of creating any physical sensation whatsoever - because all physical sensations are actually generated in our brains. Phantom limb pain is proof of this - and it is widely accepted as purely brain-based by the traditional medical community.

People are anxious to find corroboration that their particular symptom has been experienced by others, who can somehow prove or assure them that the symptom was TMS. The problem with that need is that we've seen countless cases of people with crazy one-of-a-kind symptoms - which disappear when they finally make a commitment to doing the emotional work.

Over the years, it's become clear to me that our brains are perfectly capable of creating a unique symptom precisely because the person will be unable to find anyone else who has ever experienced it - thus effectively remaining mired in fear.

It's the perfect trap in many ways - but you don't need to fall for it.

Balsa11 and Baseball65 like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes... and just to make it good and scary, it chose the left side. TMS's whole purpose is to get your attention so.,Whenever we get an outbreak, it is telling us "Look at me now! Give me all of your attention." I went to the emergency room with chest pain that was stabbing and running down my whole LEFT arm. 100% TMS... I had a big important show that my whole career hinged upon and dealing with the other guys involved was driving me crazy, so I needed a distraction.

You might want to sit and think quietly for a moment... why would you need this distraction?

Balsa11 likes this.
  4. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Belly breathing is best and is the normal way to breathe. Chest breathing isn't preferable for the body. Don't keep checking for the pain and just breathe normally.

5. Davidgraham5

Davidgraham5 New Member

I get this all the time too. Did you manage to resolve the issue?