1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back stiffness

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Matam85, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Matam85

Matam85 New Member

When I sit for long periods of time, I experience stiffness in my back as soon as I stand up. This is not pain. The stiffness goes away after I walk for a while. I’m just curious if the back stiffness is TMS related or just a byproduct of sitting for a while ?
    Thanks for your input and help on this matter

2. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

My opinion is that basic stiffness from sitting in one position for too long is perfectly normal and not TMS, but if you obsessed over it and looked for structural causes etc then it could manifest into a TMS situation.

Related, somewhat, is that I am often stiff and sore when I wake in the morning, and I do think this is a TMS issue, as nighttime and the waking hours are prime TMS ground. When I had major TMS symptoms, they were always at their worst upon waking.

TG957 likes this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Back stiffness can also be the result of breathing habits due to anxiety and tension. TMS. When we revert to breathing with our shoulders - shallow breaths we prevent normal muscle movements which help relax the body. When anxiety abates, normal breathing habits usually return. Breath work can help you relax, alleviate tension and help your body return to its normal rhythms.
    Think about your emotions as you sit. Does what you do while sitting have any emotional content for you? Do you sit with unrecognized tension? Do you sometimes hold your breath, squeeze your chest or belly clench?

4. Matam85

Matam85 New Member

I am a therapist so I sit with people all day. Sometimes when I get up from my seat I am stiff as a board but not in any pain.

5. Shaw

Shaw New Member

I would like to see where this is going. I have had back surgery and one of the post op symptoms is low back ( & buttocks) stiffness. Have been trying to improve my symptoms and only get pain. I do have other symptoms such as sciatica.