1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Beat Back problem, but skin rash is worse

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Will McLean, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Will McLean

Will McLean Newcomer

I'm not usually the type to write on forums or even post anything on the internet so I suppose the fact that I am now shows my level of desperation. I found Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain my sophomore year of college when doctor after doctor told me I had a herniated disc/stenosis/spondy and basically that I would never be 100% again. One doctor told me the military wouldn't even accept me if they saw my MRI. I refused to accept this. And so I read the book, bought into the message (had no choice), and I went into the weight room the next day and deadlifted the type of weight I would if nothing was wrong. My back has been absolutely perfect since, no sciatica, no pain, no nothing.

So the issue is that even though it worked for my back, I'm having a lot of trouble with fixing my skin. I have a horrible rash on my face/forehead. It may have started as eczema, then thought it was rosacea because it was just redness broken capillaries on my cheeks, and then it emerged into something called seborrhea which is a type of dermatitis I believe. Anyway it progressively got worse throughout my sophomore year of college. And now it's pretty damn bad, flares up real easily, sweat and heat aggrevate it so I'm definitely living in constant fear which I know is what Sarno warns about. I also stopped doing certain activities that I like because of it, I stopped working out because it would flare with the sweat, skip parties, didn't swim much this summer, water aggrevates so Showering sucks also, I lay low in class, hide my face, incredibly less outgoing when it's real bad. So you could say it controls my life in many ways.

I found it was much easier for me to nut up and deadlift and say fuck the pain than it is to say fuck it if my skin is red. I just transferred to a larger university, I'm meeting new people, joining new groups, if I say screw it and start doing my usual thing like working out and acting like its not there, my face could very well reach a whole new level of bad and that'll be a bit too much for me to handle in a situation like college. So i guess I'm writing this because I'm asking how other people have overcome skin issues or any tms (equivalents) that have had a special type of hold on them. Dr. Sarno goes into depth on how tms works but he lists skin problems as tms equivalents and doesn't explain what happens in the body to make my Seb Derm occur. I've always had skin problems for as long as I can remember and it's just been a real good way my mind has protected me from my repressed emotions I guess because the unsightliness affects me so much and garners so much of my attention. So any tips about how I could maybe beat this without making it way worse first would be great, success stories are welcome(bought Steve O's book just to read like a sentence about him beating Rosacea), and any possible explanation on how the mind would have my skin react in such a way would help too (immune system I think?). If you read this far, thank you very much for the time!

* I should add that when I'm less stressed my skin gets better, was semi decent the whole week before I left for school and within a day of being here it got real bad. I literally felt it coming on, I was trying to tell it no but my fear of it coming on was just too great.

yoyo12 and readytoheal like this.
  2. Will McLean

Will McLean Newcomer

** I should also add that when the redness began moving to my chin (its main location is cheeks, nose, and between eyebrows) last year, I remember just not accepting that, I was upset enough the seb derm was where it was and when I found it on my chin I guess I put my foot down (which is kind of oddly funny actually) and it went away. This gives hope that I can do the same with the rest of my face. Oh and last spring I started getting the worst itchiness I've ever experienced just all over my legs, thighs, butt. No vissible rash just intense itchiness to the point where I would wake up in am scratching violently. Got blood work done and tested for all allergies and everything was perfectly normal, I had absolutely nothing wrong with me. The doctor finally suggested it was psychosomatic and what do you know, itching gone before I knew it.

3. DianeRadvanski

DianeRadvanski New Member

I too developed seb dermatitis from all the extreme and constant stress of having scalp and head nerve pain for 16 months...I don't go out unless I have to go to the doctor because the nerve pain is excruciating in response to the slightest touch and temp. So washing my face and hair and brushing my teeth even lying my head on the pillow hurts. For my seb der. I found Verdesa to help alot with the burning and redness but now nothing does...it does get wore with stress. I also have it on my scalp so it burns and is sore on top of the nerve pain I already have.

I use Aveeno ultra calming night Cream becaue it brings some moisture back to the face. I use Cetaphil face wash which is supposed to be very mild. It seem like when the stress us under control so is the seb dermatitis.. there r other creams the dermatologist has but I found they dred my skin...biotin is a good vitamin for skin and I figure drinking alot of water helps..I go to a 2nd dermatologist next week so if he suggests something helpful I will post it. Hang in there.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Will, I had outbreaks of rosacea after a difficult pregnancy and childbirth, then again when my mother was killed in the car accident. It took it a couple weeks to appear and years before it cleared. Fear is one of the main factors. Try to deal with your fear first and see how it all plays out. Good luck to you!

5. Will McLean

Will McLean Newcomer

Diane, thank you very much for the tips. I have started taking biotin and now try to drink a gallon of water a day. Your situation sounds much worse than mine, perhaps your fear, like TG957 suggests, is a main factor.

TG957, thank you for the response and I agree about the fear I definitely am afraid of it. Affirmations help. But I'm sorry about your difficult family situations. Best of luck to you too.

6. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Thank you so much for your post. It helped me very much. My heart goes out to you.

I will tell you my story.

When I was 21 I broke out in a rash on my face which lasted about 6 months. "perioral dermatititis." I was seeing a boyfriend who was mean to me. I broke up w him and the rash went away and did not come back for 10 years. Then it came back when I was seeing someone else who I was no getting what I need from. This time is a couple of years later.

I was in a relationship I was in love with someone and the relationship fell apart unexpectedly. After I ended it I came down with severe digestive symptoms. They vanished when I went on a nice trip to Cali to see my mom. When I got back the rash blew up.

It wasn't until I read your post that for whatever reason it clicked that I had not even cried or felt any feelings of loss about the relationship. I realized this rash was trying to protect me from my feelings. I often easily become aware of feelings of anxiousness and feelings of anger but very rarely do I feel loss. I realized when I went on the forum that my rash and digestive issues came up to protect me from this.

I can't explain how it happened but the very next day and for days after that I felt a warm feeling inside. A feeling of deep relaxation . As if a warm wave were crashing over me. I was elated and content. What's more: when I went inside I found - that although there were feelings of missing this person I wasn't super upset about it. It's almost like my TMS is set up like a reflex to protect me from feelings I MIGHT have. And sometimes the feelings are not so intense after all.

Within a week my rash went way down and I heard a voice say, "i guess you don't need me anymore." I really believe this was the TMS talking to me.

It's been two weeks now and within that time I have also seen 2 doctors who started me on a regiment of:
    sodium sulfacetimide (topical), olive oil (topical), vitamin e supplements (ingested), & cold pressed flax seed oil (ingested). I believe these things are helping as well. The key for me is that I do not allow myself to spend time looking at it. Or thinking about. I do my regimen every day. And I look out for feelings of loss.

Thanks again for your help. Please let me know how you are doing now.

Lexy Lucy

Paigeee, Tala, yoyo12 and 1 other person like this.
  7. lexylucy

2 weeks later now. Rash is almost entirely gone. I don't even want to cover it up with make -up.

8. yoyo12

yoyo12 Peer Supporter

I'm experiencing the same thing but with my eyes! They are dry and itchy and I'm sensitive to light, but what bothers me the most and causing me most of my (mental) pain is the way my eyes look! (veiny and bloodshot) I really feel you. I feel like it's easier to ignore pain than to ignore something you're confronted with all the time (mirrors, reflecting surfaces everywhere). I too am scared to go outside or to hang out with friends because any wind or pollen aggravate the redness and make me look like i'm on drugs. I stopped going to the gym too because excerise makes the veins in the whites in my eyes boat up! It's really frustrating. Especially since I've always considered my eyes my best feature (this is probably why TMS hit me there, you can read my story here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/young-female-eye-problems-and-tms.15902/#post-83232 (Young female, eye problems and TMS :())

Maybe if i just say "f*ck it" and go on with my life no matter what, it will subside. I'm looking for people that have overcome pain that has a cosmetic nature as well to find out how I should handle this.

9. lexylucy

I relate to you YoYo. Thanks for your post and for sharing so honestly.

10. talkinghead

talkinghead New Member

This is an incredibly relatable post. I’ve experienced, for years now, almost exactly what the original poster has described.

I overcame debilitating back pain about 10 years ago. I am 100% on board with the diagnosis of TMS.

But for the last few years I have been dealing with an increase in my skin issues. Sebbhoric dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, etc. You name it I’ve battled it. It is an absolute nightmare. What’s worse, over the last several months, I’ve had the dermatitis spread to my face.

I think, as many posters in this thread have mentioned, the fact that these conditions make one *so* self-conscious about their looks makes this a devastatingly effective distraction from one’s emotions. How can you just ignore or downplay burning, red, itchy, dry skin on your face? It’s literally impossible.

I’ve dealt with TMS in the form of severe pain and, in my opinion, these skin equivalents are 100x worse.

If anyone could give me some advice or at least share their stories, I’d be really grateful. Especially some of these old posters in this thread.

11. balance4me

balance4me New Member

LexyLucy
    Are you still active on this forum?

My 18-year-old daughter has had perioral dermatitis for several years and it impinges on her life and self-esteem. I am trying to find success stories, etc., to help convince her that this is TMS. Both my husband and I have cured ourselves of multiple issues with Sarno's work, but our daughter is skeptical that this is her problem.

Any updated insight you have into your issues with TMS and skin problems would be so appreciated.

Thanks,
    balance4me

12. TG957

If that can be of any help, my rosacea which persisted for years despite very expensive antibiotics, is gone now, after Dr. Sarno saved me from neuropathic pain and many other symptoms.

13. balance4me

balance4me New Member

Thank you so much for sharing that, TG957! So you just tackled your rosacea after success with other physical symptoms?
    Did you notice anything else about the skin clearing--did it take longer than clearing other symptoms? Do you think it originated from different emotions?
    Thanks again,
    Balance4me

14. TG957

I tackled my anxiety, rosacea was a minor issue compared to the rest of symptoms. I just noticed that it went away after complex regional pain syndrome was gone. The root cause is in the nervous system and symptoms can be everywhere in the body.

15. balance4me

balance4me New Member

I agree. My symptoms have migrated to several different body systems over the years. Just wish I could help my daughter conquer her doubts and fears and clear her skin.
    Thanks again for your help.

TG957 likes this.
  16. TG957

Sometimes, it takes people years to believe in Sarno. I suggest that she reads success stories from the subforum Success Stories and everything on this forum on doubts. Doubts are not bad or good, they are a normal part of the process.

17. 1daat

1daat New Member

Could you speak more on your neuropathic pain? That is currently the symptom giving me the biggest hesitation.

18. Thelauriebelle1

Thelauriebelle1 Peer Supporter

Hi! Curious if anyone with the dermatitis issues have any advice?
    This is a new one for me. I have what I believe is prickly heat rash on my chest and neck.

19. Gtgart

Gtgart New Member

Hi Lauriebelle1,

I had what was referred to as "neuro-dermatitis", which sounds like what you describe. I had this prickly heat rash on mostly my arms, sometimes lower legs and at times on my upper body chest/back. It was with me as an almost constant issue for about 5 years. Cold showers, ice packs were the only relief. Your usual run of doctors and there is nothing wrong with you diagnosis returned, left me in a very painful and frustrated state.

Then I typed into google "neuro dermatitis cure" and I found a guy who was a mind body practitioner named Guido. This was a long time before I discovered Dr Sarno, and curiously before I experienced any back pain.

He took me through a series of mind exercises that had my nightmare rash cured in about a week and a half. From time to time if flares up but each time it does, I use the mind exercise to banish it from my body. Usually takes about 3 or 4 days to complete the eradication.

Here is the interesting part, when the ND was dealt with, up comes the back issues, which are now 5 years in the making. I recently discovered Dr Sarno in June of this year and am happy to report that my back pain is really on the way out. Major breakthrough, has been the journalling as of 5 days ago, my persistent lower back, left side, ITB issues amazing ceased. So happy with the results being there the following two days - I felt like I could begin telling everyone at the beach of my success - felt finally justified!

Then day 4 - whamo back to the usual - felt like an old man again. But I knew this to be a possibility, TMS on the run, and speaking about the former pain to so many people, just encouraged it back again. Once understood, the following day 5, gone again.

So here I am finding this thread - rash on my head - and thinking could this thing that came up recently (about a week ago) be another form of TMS? (my symptoms - right side of head, boil-like bumps that started with just few, radiated out to about a dozen or so. Very painful to touch, feels like burning my scalp).

Off to see second doctor today, but even before I go, I think I know what he is going to say. The usual, get some cream apply for x amount of time and see how you go.

Before I do that, I am going to use the same mind exercise that I use for the arm rash, and see how it goes for dealing with it. Pretty sure I know what the reaction will be, yep another form of TMS, yes another equivalent, and the old TMS on the run again.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  20. Islander

Islander Peer Supporter

How are you doing now from the dermatitis?