1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Best book for anxiety by claire weeks ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Saoirse, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

There has been great talk of books by Claire Weels on anxiety can anyone tell me which is the best one to get for general anxiety disorder and pain ??

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I think Hope and Help for your Nerves is generally considered the go to book.

I first read her book about 10 years ago and to be honest it didn't help me back then because my main concern was health anxiety it didn't really strike a chord as she seemed to concentrate on the usual panic attack type manifestations of anxiety. It was only as time passed and with hindsight that I can now see her methodology is basically the way out of all anxiety disorders.

I found that the audiobook was more beneficial than her actual book a few years after and I believe that the audio is posted pretty much in its entirety in this thread.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/weekes-lowe-ace-and-audio.14434/ (Weekes, Lowe, Ace and audio.)

Just to say I don't think you need to read her full books as such but just understand and commit to her 3 key concepts. It's funny how people go round and round and hunt for ever for the 'cure' to anxiety when it was presented clear as day all those years ago. Pretty much any modern anxiety text and concept worth it's salt is a version of her work which unfortunately is rarely attributed either.

3. pspa

pspa Well known member

4. pspa

pspa Well known member

It used to really bother me to come across various sites selling magical solutions for anxiety (the "one move" for example, I forget which huckster was peddling that one) for lots of money, all marketed very slickly, when they all were essentially just regurgitations of Weekes' concepts of acceptance and "floating."

5. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

thanks a million

6. lavendertealatte

lavendertealatte Peer Supporter

The book I have is Hope and Help for your Nerves.

It did give me a lot of hope, but I did eventually use medication for my depression.
    These days, I get bouts of anxiety. I wonder what it takes to really get the help?

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4638 (TMSHelp Forum - stuck at 90% and my life sucks)
    I think HillBilly's post really spoke to me.

I have these thoughts that just come up in my being-- oh no this, oh no that, and I don't even know what the thoughts are, they're not so clear until you dissect them after, but more the feelings of anxiety are so strong.

7. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Thanks so much I have downloaded her book and an excited to read it ,cheers