1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bill Maher comment

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dharn999, Aug 6, 2022.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

Okay by no means am I wanting to start something political and that is not the purpose of this post, but one of his videos popped up on my YouTube right after a news report from cnn ended, I was washing dishes so I didn’t want to stop to stop it so I let play on. But anyway, in a discussion with a panel they were talking about Western Medicine and he said that

“ the biggest problem with Western Medicine is that it will not recognize the Mind Body Connection, and that in a 100 years medicine is going to look pretty stupid for it”

needless to say I stopped washing dishes a played it back to make sure I heard him correctly.. thought it was interesting to hear him and a panel of people mention this

again, not starting anything political because that gets ugly, just found his comment to be interesting

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The age of podcasting has given rise to a surprising number of celebrities talking freely about emotional issues and mental health, often with full acceptance of the mindbody connection. A fun podcast is with actor Sean Hayes and his buddy, Dr Priyanka Wali, who is an MD and a stand-up comedian. It's called HypochondriActor, and Hayes is extremely open about his many medical issues and his anxiety, which to us here are obviously linked.
    The fun part for any TMSer is that Dr Wali is a big fan of Dr Sarno and sometimes mentions him and brings up MBS in different circumstances. Sean pays lip service to this while being quite sure that HIS problems are strictly physical, so he ain't there yet. There is a celebrity guest on every show with a medical story, some of which Dr Wali can link to stress and anxiety. The most recent episode, however was different, because the guest was yoga guru Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, and his topic was Peaceful Living. Well worth the listen. Dr Wali ends each episode with a silly quiz game between Sean and the guest - all in all it's entertaining and informative and I look forward to it each week. And I wish Dr Wali was my doctor :)

TG957 likes this.
  3. Booble

Booble Well known member

I think though that this is also risky.
    Too many people take things too literally and avoid life saving medical treatment thinking that they can mind-body their way out of serious medical conditions that are beyond that stage. Or think they can cure serious illness by eating certain foods, etc. etc.
    Even Steve Jobs waited too long thinking he could cure his pancreatic cancer "naturally."

For all its problems, modern medicine is also miraculous and I think we should acknowledge that too.

4. mbo

mbo Well known member

Of course modern medecine is useful, necessary and "miraculous" ....
    but also a neverending source of misdiagnosis, overdiagnosis, overtreatment and ..... nocebo effect, iatrogenesis and lucre.
    Beware! Ivan Illich warn us, many years ago, of the unstoppable medicalization of our life.

Celayne and Booble like this.
  5. Booble

Booble Well known member

Excellent response. :)

I'm reminding about modern medicine miracles because so many people go overboard with quacky things too.
    We should equally be warned of the unstoppable medical misinformation of the Internet. ;)

6. mbo

mbo Well known member

In my humble opinion modern (bio) medicine is a very powerful sharp two-edged sword
    Beware!

7. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

I agree with you. It can be dangerous, especially when people blindly follow and trust while essentially being poisoned by their drugs.

[Full disclosure: I am biased particularly after suffering a vaccine injury.]

8. Booble

Booble Well known member

*sigh
    ....and this is how people avoid life saving medical treatment.

There is a place for TMS and other non-medical interventions when our minds are causing the illness or pain.

This anti-medical science rhetoric is going to get people killed.
    Please use TMS style "treatment" as an addition to the toolbox not instead of.

9. Celayne

There’s nothing to say Steve Jobs would be here today if he’d jumped into conventional medical treatments. People die all the time while enduring medical treatments. I have personal experience with this.

10. Booble

Booble Well known member

Your personal experience doesn't negate comprehensive medical scientific trials.
    Yes, medical treatments do not work 100% of the time. But doing quacky snake oil things works a lot less.

Maybe we should stick to talking about TMS which is to resolve pain and other sensations brought on by emotional issues?

We are not qualified to discuss medical treatments and all the thousands of people reading these forums should not be confused to think that we have any expertise in that area.

11. Celayne

I just think people need to be aware of the problems and errors in conventional medicine and make appropriate choices when seeking care. There are alternatives for non-life-threatening ailments.

Much of the time conventional treatments work but the underlying theory of our medical system is to cut out things that aren’t working right, medicate the hell out of people for just about anything that is wrong.

Maher is right. In 100 years, people will wonder how anyone survived the primitive treatments.

Sita likes this.
  12. Booble

Booble Well known member

Apologies for getting heated on this.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  13. Celayne

Same here. It’s a trigger subject for me and I should just keep my thoughts to myself.

JanAtheCPA likes this.