1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Burning pain: could this be TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Dan Ravan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Dan Ravan

Dan Ravan New Member

Could anybody help with some advice.I have had widespread burning pain thruout my entire body for over 8 years.Had many tests and MRI all negative.Also two years before began having chronic tension headaches. I feel lost and not sure if TMS .To make it worse taking strongest opiod patch and still in pain.Iwould see aTMS doctor but in australia they dont exist.Has anyone ever heard of similiar pain features and could it be TMS?

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Welcome Dan:

I had those pain patches. They didn't do anything for me either. In fact, I've been on all kinds of pain medications and they work for awhile. I have lower back pain issues. And I know I have TMS.

Have you read any of Dr. Sarno's books? The "Mind Body Prescription" is a good one to start with. You will either see yourself, or you won't. I too live in an area where there isn't a TMS doctor. So I'm working my way through the wiki (great information and articles) and I did the Structured Program.

I can't tell you whether or not you have TMS. But if you read the book, search the wiki awhile, I bet you'll come to your own conclusions. Then you can proceed from there. I have been working on this for two months and have learned a great deal that has helped me.

Good luck, keep asking questions, and hope you feel better soon.

BG

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya Dan and Welcome to the wiki

I have heard of a couple TMS docs in Australia, however I'm not sure if they are any where near your location. For more check out http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist#Australia . I don't really know anything about James Alexander, but I have exchanged a couple emails with Hal Greenham and he seems like he knows his stuff and has a solid grasp on Sarno's ideas. He might be worth looking into. For more check out his survey response form

4. samanthaloveslife

samanthaloveslife New Member

Hi Dan,
    Just a note to say that I am also from Australia, so be comforted by knowing that there people around you who can relate to you. I have spoken to Hal Greenham, he is good to talk to and great if you can visit. I can't as live in Qld. What state are you in?

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like you did the right thing by being evaluated by a physician, and it sounds like the doc didn't find anything structurally wrong. It also seems that if you had a structural problem the opiod patch would alleviate at least some of your symptoms. The thing with TMS is that it doesn't really respond to structural solutions like opiod patches and pain meds because it is not a structural problem. As beach-girl mentioned a great place to start is simply to read about TMS. You will be able to find great insights by reading Success Stories and User Pages on the wiki.

Since TMS is a mind-body disorder we, as individuals, have the power to cure ourselves by investigating our emotions and learning the true cause of our symptoms. Having a doctor diagnose you with TMS can really help you gain the confidence in the approach (as well as rule out serious medical conditions), but it would still be up to you to do the work. Try asking yourself what is holding you back and start to journal about those things. I had severe pain for years and was able to fully recover. I never saw a TMS doctor and was never formally diagnosed with TMS. I simply read a bunch of success stories and TMS books and realized that I didn't have to fear the pain anymore. If I can do it, so can you!

Best,

Forest