1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone share their hip pain story/thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Sep 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. avik

avik Well known member

Thank you for reading this post; hope this message finds all of you well.

I had a random miss-step in the gym five years ago that left me with debilitating hip and groin pain.
    Subsequent MRI showed a torn labrum and what the dr termed as an impingement.

With all of my years of TMS experience (its a lot of years), I latched on to that diagnosis, freaked out, and proceeded with physical therapy and talks of hip replacement surgery for the subsequent 2-3 years.

I finally came to my senses and tried to accept it as TMS and I've had 90% relief. That said, I've always had this slight pain when moving the wrong way and have essentially babied it by simply not using the hip, in the same way I did prior (slowed down with some sports, don't cross my legs anymore, etc).

There's not much in the Sarno lit that talks about hip pain.

Is this torn labrum just another sign of aging and not indicative of any real damage, like a torn rotator or herniated disc?

Would be very helpful for me to hear others' success stories as I am in a lot of pain right now...of all things after having gotten a massage! Excruciating pain that feels like its originating in the joint, that is causing groin pain and IT band pain.

I have this nagging thought out of my head that I have actual structural damage that will not completely go away without surgery.

Any help or suggestions here is greatly appreciated.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Your best bet would probably be to go to a TMS doctor like Dr. Schubiner with your torn labrum. But new pain from getting a massage - unless your massage therapist was a 800 pound gorilla pulling you apart - seems like a clear indication of TMS. Also, I would google any information on the success rate of surgeries on hip replacement and stories from those who has done it. If you already had pain down 90% - is it worth it?

3. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Hi Avik-I tore my hip labrum and I had most of my pain at night when I slept and sometime when I overdid working out or running. My sleep quality was really declining so I finally had it properly checked out after being told by my regular doctor to take ibuprofen as it was probably bursitis. So i went to an orthopedic doctor and it turned out it was a torn labrum. I did my research and I’m certainly not an orthopedic surgeon but if a doctor is saying hip replacement for something this minor, I would run from that doctor. I had mine repaired by arthroscopic surgery and I had an impingement as well but the surgery was minor and recovery wasn’t that bad. Could it have been TMS? Maybe. But it was 10 years ago and I don’t get that same pain anymore. Tension does make that old injury area very tight, more than my opposite hip, but I know there’s nothing wrong with my hip. There are very specific diagnostic tests to ensure it really is a torn labrum. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

backhand and TG957 like this.