1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Schubiner Can it be TMS if I actually have knots?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I've been suffering from shoulder/arm pain for 17 years without any improvement after all kinds of therapies, including surgery on one side.

I have big painful knots in my deltoids on both arms, which hurt after almost every physical activity. After learning about TMS 3 month ago I experienced a small improvement. I am able to sleep on both sides now which was not possible for more than 7 years. But I still worry a lot about these knots because I am thinking I will not heal until they have disappeared. Massage is also very painful. My arms are not hot or red and only a little bit swollen. The last x-ray did not show anything special.

2. Howard Schubiner MD

Howard Schubiner MD New Member

Answer
    As with any medical symptom, it is important to assess for a structural problem first. There are several disorders that directly affect muscles, such as muscular dystrophy, polymyositis (a rheumatologic condition), and medication-induced muscle disorders. These disorders are easily ruled out by a medical evaluation and testing. One of the most common symptoms of TMS is muscle tension and muscle pain. Individuals with TMS often have very tender and/or tight muscles as a result. Sometimes there are discernible knots in the muscles that may not go away, even after massages or other treatments directed at the muscle tension.

I saw a young woman a couple of years ago who had prominent knots in the muscles of her back. She tried many therapies, including massage and acupuncture to no avail. She even had a dry needling technique with acupuncture needles to try to "break up" the knots. This was very painful, expensive and didn't help. When she found out about TMS and began to address the stressful, emotional issues in her life, her muscles began to relax and the knots went away.

The key thing to remember is that the muscles that are tense, tight or in knots are not damaged muscle that requires specific medical treatment. The muscles are normal and will relax when there is less tension in the mind.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Guest. Since a medical checkup found nothing structurally wrong, your muscle knots sure must be from TMS.
    You need to believe that 100 percent before your unconscious will stop the pain. It takes time to believe 100 percent
    in anything except a dog's love. haha.

Consider yourself lucky that nothing structural showed up. Now just take Dr. Schubiner's advice and think TMS.
    You probably have repressed emotions that may go back to your childhood. Or you have a perfectionist personality
    and want everyone to approve of and like you. Ease up on yourself, breathe deeply, meditate to find calmness.
    Live in the present moment and not in the past or future.

Good luck. You're on your way to healing.

4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Guest, I had the privilege of meeting with Dr. Schubiner last week. After a 2-hour visit and some digging into some emotional issues I have had under lock and key, he examined me.

As he felt along the back of my neck and upper back, I was BLOWN AWAY. The ever present knots and tension that were there…were GONE. Usually, I can't stand anyone poking around on my back.

Having said that…I still have tension in my calf, a problem area for many years. However, Dr. S's insight has better equipped me to too see this darn TMS over the finish line to healing.

Those knots can be intimidating, I know. I've had some baseball sized before:eek:. But keep in mind: They are HARMLESS. Pay them no never mind (you'll get better with practice) and remember the wise words of Dorrie in Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming!"

Please keep us posted on your progress.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I love your saying you felt no neck or back pain after Dr. Schubiner felt along those sections.
    Touch can be so important in healing. Jesus did that often. Maybe we should try touching our pain places
    with a healing force of our own.

North Star likes this.
  6. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Hi guest,
    I've had these knots (also called "myofascial trigger points") in my arms, too. They completely disappeared without any treatment and so did my so called "frozen shoulder" (which was completely stiff and painful for 1,5 years). Doctors told me I needed surgery & physio. Well, what I needed was knowledge about TMS. I am not healed yet because the symptom imperativ kicked in (sleepin disturbances instead of shoulder pain, also very annoying). But knowing that here are some other people who healed from severe shoulder-/arm pain (as did Herbie!) was so helpful. You absolutely will get rid of these nasty muscle knots, they're nothing but very, very, very tensed muscles.

North Star and Forest like this.
  7. Sandrine

Sandrine New Member

Thank you all very much for your kind and helpful answers. They really help me to convince myself in the TMS diagnosis! :)

North Star and Forest like this.
  8. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Birdie, your comment encouraged me too. (A new shifting symptom for me is my shoulder of late.) Thank you!
    Sandrine, so glad this was helpful to you!

9. blake

blake Well known member

I have a permanent knot in my right shoulder blade. Before I knew of tms, I thought it caused my neck pain. My physiotherapist would work on it and the pain would go away for a day or two. Now I know better. The knot is always there and always sensitive to the touch, but since I don't always have pain in my neck, it cannot possibly be the cause of my pain. I'm not a doctor, but I can say for sure (for myself anyway) that knots don't cause pain - my repressed emotions certainly do though.