1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. Can my bladder symptoms be tms?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Anxiousone, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Anxiousone

Anxiousone New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello,

I joined this forum last year but haven't been on here for a while.

I wrote about bladder problems that I have now been experiencing for a year and things do not seem to be improving. I experience a wide array of symptoms; predominantly urinary frequency, urgency and hesitancy and it has seriously diminished my quality of life.
    I have had infection ruled out and the doctors are not concerned with any physical obstruction or organic nature to my problems.
    The more I read about TMS, the more convinced I am about it and it's potential in being the root of my problems. I can link all of my physical suffering back to emotional trauma, anger, fear, anxiety, frustration and guilt. I have always been a 'worrier.'
    Is it likely, in your view that my symptoms can be the result of my emotions? Are bladder symptoms common with TMS?

Would be interested to know your thoughts on this,
    Thank you.

Seb.
    (38 year old)

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    My first response was going to be ‘make sure that you get it checked out by a doctor,’ but it seems you already did that! Good work! You’ve done your homework.

To answer your question directly: Yes, bladder symptoms are extremely common with TMS. Your name here on the wiki is ‘anxiousone,’ which says to me that you’re living with a fair amount of anxiety on a regular basis. Good news – anxiety and bladder problems go hand in hand. I, for example, will go to the bathroom every 20 minutes when I’m anxious. I’m known amongst my friends as having the tiniest bladder (which isn’t actually a thing – bladders are very flexible), and am regularly going to the bathroom if I’m experiencing anxiety.

So, rest assured that it’s TMS. You’re going to be fine – just don’t let your symptoms trigger more anxiety in you. Know that they’re just a product of anxiety, and that’s just fine.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Anxiousone

Anxiousone New Member

Thank you, Daniel. Much appreciated.

I have started writing a journal of my thoughts/emotions etc and linking them with my symptoms. It is clear that emotions such as fear, anger, apprehension and guilt have a profound affect on my bladder but also my pelvic floor muscles. I'm convinced they are all tight which is contributing to my bladder woes. It's interesting you mention tiny bladder because I was starting to think my bladder had reduced to size of a ping pong ball! This is obviously not a reality.

Is there anything else you can advise for me to get over this?

Many thanks.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Agree with Daniel, I had it years back, got over it, no longer an issue, no longer a concern. Got good at spotting trees along the hi-way, communing with mother nature using the passenger door of the Jeep for some privacy.

For symptomatic relief you can get an rx for Flomax. Having it in the glove box of my car gives peace of mind for flare ups until you completely overcome UU through TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN. If you do a search here and at TMS HELP you'll find much written about it.

G'luck and may you always have a tailwind,
    tt/lsmft

CRICH likes this.
  5. irishlondon

irishlondon Newcomer

Hi Daniel. I know what you're going through.

My symptoms come and go. Worse in the eveving when I'm anxious about trying to sleep. Some days at work when I'm busy I don't notice the symptoms at all.