1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. Can shifting symptoms have a viral cause?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello, I wonder if you confirm whether this is TMS or equivalent.

Two years ago I contracted genital herpes. I didn't tell anybody and kept it secret. I didn't even shout at the guy as I didn't want anybody to know. It came as a soul-destroying shock. I dealt with the shame/fear/depression on my own in secret and just pretended I didnt have it. Fast forward a year and I developed pain on my shoulder blade for about 5 months, it never really bothered me and it disappeared on it's own. After this I developed pain in my vulva that was diagnosed by a doctor as vulvodynia and they were unable to tell me the cause. This gave me anxiety and health anxiety. I focused on the anxiety and vulvodynia every day. I read somewhere that my fears of future sexual contact caused this. Once I made the connection, it disappeared. Once I realised that anxiety was just protecting me, this disappeared too. Vulvodynia was then replaced with daily tingles and weird nerve sensations in the genitals, left leg and left foot. The doctor didn't really care and put it down to herpes. The gyno lady said herpes doesn't do that on a daily basis. I have some numbness too. This scared me and I've focused on nothing else since. Recently the tingles have stopped and have been replaced with mild persistent genital arousal disorder. In the past year it's been one thing to fear after another. All in the genital region. I came across Dr Sarno's book after reading a vulvodynia blog and after reading it I believe everything I've had are TMS equivalenta. When one thing stops, another follows. And I can't talk to anyone about it therefore I have repressed it. The only thing that's stopping me 100% believing that the current arousal disorder is TMS, is the fact he doesn't refer to it in his book. He refers to genitourinary and gynocology issues but doesn't go into any detail. I think I need reassurance from a professional before I can truly believe it.

Kind Regards, Lindsey

Jane.Fearless likes this.
  2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, Lindsey.

Wow, it sounds like you've been in quite the roller coaster with all of these migrating symptoms. Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD) is one of those "syndromes" that nobody seems to be able to explain medically. It is frequently acknowledged as a psychological disorder and surgical/medication interventions have little to no efficacy.

Is this starting to sound familiar?

There are multiple syndromes/symptoms that Sarno neglected to mention in his books. This only has to do with the prevalence of certain symptoms over others at different times. The fact that he did not talk about PGAD does not exclude it from TMS consideration by any means. The brain can create almost any symptom in any part of your body, including the symptoms associated with PGAD.

The fear/preoccupation cycle that you describe is textbook TMS. From where I sit, a TMS diagnosis seems like a slam dunk. If you have any doubts about your diagnosis, invest in a trip to see a reputable TMS physician who may be able to give you the certainty that you need. Otherwise, gather your evidence and take that leap of faith that all TMS'ers must make in order to recover.

Best of luck!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Ferndale37

Ferndale37 Peer Supporter

Hi Lindsey,

I can't comment on the other stuff, but I hopefully can make you feel a bit better about herpes, whish is a really misunderstood condition. many people have the virus without ever having flare ups. it's much more common than you think.

My partner has the condition and I freaked out at first until I read this site :

https://herpes.org.uk (Home - Herpes Viruses Association)

Hope it helps