1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Can TMS work with borderline personality disorder?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Zumbafan, May 18, 2015.

1. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I am wondering if it is appropriate to tell someone with borderline personality disorder, about Dr Sarno's work?

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Zumbafan.

I think that it is appropriate to tell everybody about Dr. Sarno's work. The more the better!

I suspect that the real question that you're asking here is whether or not telling someone with BPD that their pain could be at least partially psychogenic would be received well. It really depends.

Some things to consider:

-How was the BPD diagnosis made and how open is this person about having BPD?
    -How much self-awareness and motivation for treatment is the individual? Is he/she in treatment for the BPD?

If this person is important to you and you see him or her suffering, I am sure it is hard to stand idly by knowing something can be done. There is always a chance that the message will fall on deaf ears or, worse, that the person will respond with resistance, anger, and (occasionally) wrath. This is the risk that we take when we share our truth, whether the other party has a personality disorder or not.

I urge you to decide whether telling this person would be the right thing to do for you. I assume that you have TMS so, if you are recovering yourself, should you be tending to other people's needs or practicing tending more to your own?

Always put the oxygen mask on yourself before putting it on everyone else.

All the best!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I am curious about BPD and asked a Psychologist did I fit the criteria, as I felt I did. Was told that I wasn't but think it's because of the face I present to the world being "normal".

Excellent bit of wisdom at the end. I've been trying to tell others about TMS when I haven't fully gotten over it so I'm "reverse-TMSing" in a way!

Derek Sapico MFT likes this.
  4. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Derek, thanks so much for the green light! I just needed some confidence from a professional.
    This person (relative) has seen the changes in me from healing from fibromyalgia, then acute anxiety. Curiosity is being shown, but I was hesitant to tell my story, and introduce the new pain paradigm. I know I will have to put my own oxygen mask on first though!

Derek Sapico MFT likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree, tell anyone and everyone about Dr. Sarno and TMS. It sure can do no harm and it could do a great deal of good.

6. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Just came across Quiet Borderline Personality disorder, is that a valid diagnosis? definitely strongly resonates with me

7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm aware this is an old post, but I would consider the following:
    • Did you ever receive a second opinion from a trusted health professional who is familiar with BPD and cluster B diagnoses, including "quiet" variations?
    • Have you discussed this with any trusted friends or family members in your life? If so, what were their thoughts?
    • How much do the traits that resonate with you interrupt your daily life (even if you internalize your feelings and others may not be aware of them)?
    • Is there a chance that you relating to the symptoms is linked to a deeper fear of receiving a similar diagnosis?
    • Is there a chance you’re hypersensitive, but don’t fall under the BPD or other cluster B diagnoses? Personally, I can relate to this article (my Ehlers-Danlos makes my sympathetic nervous system and mast cells revved up all the time, so the symptoms are similar): https://www.additudemag.com/emotional-hypersensitivity-borderline-personality-disorder/ (“The ADHD Symptom Women Might Be Overlooking”)
    • How have you tried to address your feelings that seem similar to BPD in the past? Are they alleviated by certain things?
    • Do you remember when the feelings began and what may have caused them? (MANY people with a BPD diagnosis recall events that triggered or influenced their diagnosis.)
    • How has TMS work influenced your overall well-being?
    • What is your stress response? How is your sympathetic nervous system?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    BloodMoon likes this.