1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Carpal tunnel syndrome- please help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gayle06, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Gayle06

Gayle06 Newcomer

Has anyone had any success with diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome via nerve conduction studies and ultrasound? please. I was told I have mild swelling of my radiocarpal joint and flattening of my median nerve and some inflammation in my wrist. I desperately could do with some support/advice or success stories. I have read all of Dr Sarno’s books and he says carpal tunnel is TMS but inflammation is not TMS....
    But apparently sometimes it can be??
    I have been so worried about this and yes have even dealing with other stresses in my life and I do fit the TMS personality so I think this could be TMS...... but the medical diagnosis has me so worried.
    Please help if you can.
    Thank you so much!

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

When he wrote his books, back and limb pain were the rage. Carpal Tunnel seems to be the new one. virtually every person I know in pain these days is having wrist and arm problems (Like my GF for one so I hear this crap all of the time).

The MRI and imaging has been a fiasco for pain sufferers. Once again, Doctors are looking at NORMAL BENIGN changes in people and ascribing pain to them. If inflammation was the problem then anti-inflammatories would work and none of us would be here.

Sarno did NOT exclude inflammation from TMS... he just said a lot of the imaging diagnostics were 'guessing' inflammation with no proof, as it vaguely might account for their lack of finding stuff like breaks and tears.... and if they HAD found THOSE they would have used THOSE as the scapegoat. They are guessing and ruining peoples lives.

When we need a distraction to scare us the Body will do amazing things, just like it does when we are sick (white blood cells, clotters,etc)
    My 7 years before the mast taught me that the medical mythological mushy world conveniently changes their diagnosis to match my current symptom...usually with the same data.

I have had swelling in all sorts of places and when I treated it as TMS the pain left.... though many of the 'inflamed' places still are inflamed i.e. swollen. My knees are perma swollen, yet I only bothered to notice it when they started hurting...during my divorce. They stopped hurting when I dealt with it...and they are UG-ly swollen still as I run the bases. pain free.

It is always in your life, not in your wrists and definitely NOT in an MRI.

3. Gayle06

Gayle06 Newcomer

Baseball65 thank you for reaching out. I do appreciate it. I really do want to believe this is TMS and not a structural issue with my hand!

4. Miriam G. Bongiovanni

Miriam G. Bongiovanni Peer Supporter

Hi Gayle,

I had symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and nerve pain and got better from the TMS approach - have a look at my Success Story from my profile- https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/members/miriam-g-bongiovanni.9715/ (Miriam G. Bongiovanni)

Regarding the inflammation, I believe that TMS can also involve 'visible' changes - after all, the mind is very powerful and can manifest anything. This is not to say that you should definitely rule out a physical cause, but that you should keep an open mind and give the TMS approach a try.

It's worth also noting whether you have experienced other pain that doesn't make sense and asking yourself the question why the pain may have manifested as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (in my case, it's because I simply didn't want to work in my job anymore, and my job involved working long hours on the pc)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Gayle06

Gayle06 Newcomer

Thank you Miriam for reaching out, I so appreciate it.
    Were you diagnosed with carpal tunnel via nerve conduction studies or an ultrasound?
    I hear so much about RSI that hasn't been clinically diagnosed on the TMS Wiki - but as I said the ultrasound points to some form of inflammation in my wrist and swelling of my radiocarpal joint so I am confused as to whether this is TMS or a structural issue. Dr Sarno's books says TMS does not cause inflammation (which I have) but that Carpal Tunnel is definitely TMS (which I also have).
    I have dealt with other TMS issues (migratory lower back pain, neck and shoulder pain, nausea, sinus issues etc, burning and tingling in my feet) using the TMS approach and trying to shift my mindset etc - but the Carpal Tunnel is proving to be difficult.
    It now also seems to be spreading from my right hand to my left hand which is totally freaking me out.
    Do you have any other advice for me? Did you just work through your carpal tunnel issues, regardless of the pain?
    Best wishes,
    Gayle

6. Miriam G. Bongiovanni

Miriam G. Bongiovanni Peer Supporter

Hi Gayle,
    From the stories I've read and heard, I think I'm starting to disagree with Sarno that inflammation cannot be a part of TMS. I actually think that the mind can manifest anything, including very physical symptoms, but that's my opinion (as well as that of many other mindbody healers).

To me, the fact that it's spreading from your right hand to your left is definitely a strong indication that all you've got is TMS. This is because the two limbs are totally unconnected and the only reason why you'd have pain in both arms is that your brain has learnt how to replicate the symptoms due to fear and expectation of pain.

I dealt with my carpal tunnel symptoms in the same way I dealt with other symptoms - by changing my reaction to the pain, from one of fear and helplessness to a more neutral and even curious reaction - I could do this because the TMS diagnosis made complete sense to me, and because I managed to get rid of all the doubts that the pain could be structurally induced. Once you stop fearing the pain, it will eventually stop, but if you keep on fearing it or getting frustrated about it, it will continue to serve its purpose. I know it's hard, but the best thing you can do for yourself right now is to try and stop 'freaking out'. Once you catch yourself getting scared or irritated, immediately try to stop that feeling by thinking about something else, or by repeating to yourself that this is only TMS. Smile and laugh at the pain if possible. In the end, it's all about a shift in mindset - you need to start feeling in control of your health - a creator, rather than a victim.

You can read more about my journey and find additional resources on my website here:https://www.painoutsidethebox.com/ (PainOutsidetheBox - TMS coaching) I also provide TMS coaching for people who may find it difficult to overcome their symptoms.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!
    Miriam

Tennis Tom likes this.