1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Chronic depression/anxiety, recent tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by whitey, Jul 23, 2021.

1. whitey

whitey Newcomer

Hello, i'm new here. I have been suffering with severe depression/anxiety for 27 years and have had no relief from all the biochemical treatments i have tried, many different approaches. Psychological treatments have been less exhausted. I am working soon with a psychotherapist who also knows about TMS. I wanted to know if anyone thinks i haven't improved because i've been going after "brain" treatment most of the time, in terms of psychotropics, nutrition, detoxification etc. And maybe i haven't explored the psychology side enough? I had always thought i just needed to fix my brain chemistry, but none of it is helping.
    To make things worse, for the past month i have tinnitus. I thought it was related to ear wax because i had started using earphones in the ear canals a couple of days before the tinnitus began, and then i went to my GP who said there's a lot of wax. I got the wax removed yesterday via microsuction, and it may have improved (or may not), but i still have tinnitus, which i'm so disappointed about. Does anyone think it could be psychosomatic, despite the earphones/wax episode.
    I had read John Sarno book years ago which helped my back pain a lot (by stopping me fearing it), which is why lately i returned to his books since the tinnitus.
    As said, i'm working soon with a psychotherapist who uses different approaches including TMS.
    I'm desperate to say the least, and just joined here in case it's helpful/supportive/informative. Thanks

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

Did you try meditation? Or QiGong, or something to relax.

3. whitey

whitey Newcomer

No i haven't, for whatever reason.

4. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

My understanding from Sarno is that tinnitus can be caused by other things but is more commonly related to stress/emotions. Perhaps it's coming on now because you are having feelings about entering therapy? I wish someone had suggested to me way back when I was struggling with tinnitus that it was stress related. I tried all kinds of alternative therapies for it and was thoroughly distracted/obsessed for at least a couple of maddening months. The emotional issues at the time I think would have been quite easy to grasp if it had been presented correctly to me. You're on a good path -- way ahead of where I was.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  5. whitey

whitey Newcomer

Thanks, that's encouraging.