1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Cool the fires

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by plum, Jun 26, 2016.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

mike2014 likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Plum, I'll add it to my growing arsenal of tools.

plum likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

The key to success with faster eft is to use it when you need it.

I often hear people say they have tried eft with no joy. We have to differentiate between conventional eft and faster eft. The former involves a set-up followed by an elaborate series of tapping.

Faster eft can be done immediately with no preamble and involves only 5 points.

There is a lot of speculation about how eft works. The most interesting explanation I have read was penned by Dr. James Alexander who authored The Hidden Psychology of Pain. James emailed it to me about three years ago but sadly I cannot find it so I can't provide the link but I do recall it complemented tms theory well.

I don't think why it works matters although explanations lend credence and reassurance so in the absence of that I'll wing it.

When we become angry, fearful, anxious, sad...we activate neural circuits in the brain. If we feel this way often these circuits are strong and activate readily.

Let's say something triggers us, maybe someone says an unkind thing about us. Where we would normally be overwhelmed and react, faster eft offers us a sweet way to intercept the circuit while it is live and break it.

Regular eft depends upon our ability to invoke the sensations, emotions and memory. While faster eft can employ this methodology too, the speed and ease of the technique means it is easy to do while you are experiencing the physiology of the emotion.

When @Eric "Herbie" Watson first introduced me to it I desperately wanted it to work but I didn't really get it. Over time I have persisted and one glorious day I finally and completely understood.

The trick is to have the presence of mind to do it when you need it most. With practice and patience it can become a go-to tool for dealing with stress and for switching from a negative brain state to a positive one within seconds.

I would be wary of viewing it as a magic bullet although there are many and varied success stories that attest to such success. It is worth a shot though and I am very glad I have it quite literally to hand.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.