1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Darn you Stress

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Enrique, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Isn't it interesting that it is super stressful at work and I'm having to do things that are out of my comfort zone and my hands are hurting when I type? Jeez! Ok. Think psychological, think psychological.... Sigh.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The same thing also happens to me from time to time. If I am having a stressful week, every once in a while I will notice some new and odd symptom suddenly emerge for no reason. I have actually become amazed at what symptoms TMS will come up with. It has reached a point where I find humor in how these symptoms develop.

Anna1 likes this.
  3. Enrique

I hear what you're saying about finding humor in the symptoms and how they develop. Same here.

4. charcol

charcol Peer Supporter

I "third" the humor reaction. Perhaps it's those of us who have been there and conquered it- we can't help but laugh at how our brain and body work. It's the "ah-ha" moment, when something that has perplexed us for so long and then suddenly, we get it. Life's little victories...
    It's also said that "laughter is good medicine". Maybe we're not laughing enough during the pain-free times in our lives. I say laugh often, and loudly!

Anna1 likes this.
  5. Enrique

Good point... I probably don't laugh enough. I'm way too serious, but I believe less so than I used to be before understanding how our brain creates the pain. :)

6. stranger

stranger New Member

Laughing and keeping a positive mind is sometimes the best medicine. Being to serious about everything will eventually reduce your quality of life; talking from experience here. I talk to myself when I'm feeling stressed out. I assure myself, that the thing causing my stress will eventually go away. Just to give you an example; I hate my teacher at the university! I'm really gutted by her!! Whenever I saw her (before I learned about TMS), I got this aching and dull pain all over my body. The pain eventually centralized to the area around my lower back, and was so intense, that I couldnt even stand on my feet. It was stress! I knew it, because of my heart beating faster and harder and almost jumped out of my chest. It was horrible.

Anyway, right now I tell my self; "Dude, relax. In two hours, you are free of her. You can do two hours!"

Best regards!

Enrique and Anna1 like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree about laughter and being positive. Today I watched a PBS Television special with Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage, and he says we should SMILE more because it sends endorphins and dopemine -- oxygen-rich blood -- to our hurting muscles, tendons, and nerves. Worth a try.

Anna1 likes this.
  8. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Love that! To take the mind less seriously. I tend to be too serious too.. But I've already noticed it works to make fun of it when it comes up with another TMS symptom...

Enrique likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I try to laugh it off when pain comes or I get another reason to be angry.

Enrique and Anna1 like this.
  10. Enrique

I'm laughing a lot today folks... A lot!

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Laughing and smiling release endorphins sending oxygen rich blood to our hurting muscles, tendons, nerves.
    So I'm laughing and smiling more, even when nothing is funny.

I watch the Comedy Channel on tv but rarely have laughed at the stand-up comics,
    but now I'm laughing whenever the audience laughs. My subconscious doesn't know the difference.
    I'm even making a DVD recording of the stand-up comics, to play back later.

Enrique likes this.
  12. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Some Utube videos are funny as well. I love the laughing babies! Reminds me of our purest form and that we were meant to laugh even at the silliest things!

13. stranger

stranger New Member

South park is doing the job for me :p

veronica73 likes this.
  14. Enrique

It's been a crazy week at work. I need to do some laughing tonight :)

15. charcol

charcol Peer Supporter

"So I'm laughing and smiling more, even when nothing is funny." -Walt

Now THAT is funny!

Explorer- Yes, I like to watch funny videos, too. A friend of mine recently commented after a funny live show that she hadn't laughed that hard in a long time and needed to do it more often. I totally agree.

16. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Laughter yoga is great too--http://laughteryoga.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180:what-is-laughter-yoga&catid=85:about-laughter-yoga&Itemid=265

I used to do this at my gym. It's not yoga the way we think of it but more relaxed breathing and things to get you laughing. After a while you can laugh first and the positive feelings come along with it. It's fun.

17. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

I love laughing. Love to make others laugh too. But since I don't seem to do enough, I also find shows that will make me laugh. Especially if they run a marathon on my favorite show. (not going to share it here) My other half can still make me laugh out loud - which is rare after living together for 20 years. My family all are pretty funny, so I grew up with a lot of laughter. It is like swimming or running. You can get a great endorphin rush. We also have a young cat who provides cheap entertainment every day. Animals, especially those who are learning about their world - can be very entertaining .

Hope you're still laughing Enrique. I am reminded I don't laugh enough some days .

18. Enrique

Actually, today wasn't such a good day... I had to catch up on work and get a bunch of other personal stuff done. I'm afraid to say that I was a little grumpy today. And my back acted up quite bad. Maybe I need to watch a good comedy tonight. :)

19. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

You're only human. I think it's perfectly normal not to laugh all the time ;-) and a good comedy is always a good idea!! But I also think that allowing grumpiness or crying can be important sometimes!!!

20. charcol

charcol Peer Supporter

How about laughing until you cry? :)

Anna1 likes this.