1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 0 skeptic/believer?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tmsthrowaway05, Jul 30, 2020.

1. tmsthrowaway05

tmsthrowaway05 Peer Supporter

26 y.o male with chronic upper back /shoulder pain for 16 months. I read healing back pain (audiobook, enjoyed it) and didn't know what to do so I found this site and the SEP program. I am totally on board with healing back pain as I am open minded and it just makes sense. Throughout the book, there were moments I was skeptical though. For instance I can understand that emotions/unconscious mind/rage has created my pain, but it hurts so much that it is difficult to believe there is nothing wrong with my body and that it is coming from anxiety and stress. As Sarno notes, I have been cleared with many doctors, x rays, MRIs etc. and there are cervical disc issues but nothing that should be causing me pain since I am young. Anyway I will start this program because I do believe emotions have a role in this since I do regret many aspects of my life and am a worrier who tends to want to impress people. Healing back pain was awesome because everything being said was true to me. For example, Sarno notes that if you focus on a diagnosis you may think you have, it can worsen your symptoms. I was in pain last summer so I did the MRI which showed my cervical discs were bulging/ herniated and I was so worried and thought the worst immediately (thanks google). I was on my phone every single day looking for solutions and was just worrying more and more due to the overwhelming information that related to my upper back pain and this could have made things worse. I heard about Sarno through h3h3 podcast and howard stern and am shocked at how popular he is. It is definitely crazy to find out your pain is all in your head, but it does make sense, and I hope this program and you guys can convince me that. I am a normal guy and am young this is nuts that I am even typing this and am in this situation. Anyway just wanted to vent on here thanks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...Thankfully, the healthcare system is very good at finding structural problems with you. So, if you've been through the ringer of tests and nothing of note was found, it should be TMS all the way. Whenever you feel that doubt kick in, just remind yourself of all of those negative scans.

If you read some of the success stories around here, that may help you convince your mind that the brain really can cause severe symptoms. My case was far from being among the worst, and I was only a few steps above being housebound (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and IBS-C). Stress that triggers difficult emotions, especially if you buried them for years like me, can wreak havoc.

It sounds like you are in the right mindset for the program to really help you. Be sure to reach out if those doubts persist or if you have any questions.

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Actually I am not surprised that you younger cats are getting this a little earlier and it is hidden in your Post. It's invisible to YOU because it is the new Normal. I got it at 30 +or- But YOU guys have access to such rage inducing shit via the technology we did not... I could only get angry reading the paper for 15 minutes in the morning... You get streamed every little hiccup in our society in real time via your phone. I could goof off a little at work.. You guys are watched by CAMERA's everywhere you go. Hell, they even got Traffic camera's now!

The same thing that allows me to post this to you has a lot of drawbacks as well so it is NOT surprising to see guys here younger and younger. My sons are 22 and 27 respectively and BOTH have had TMS outbreaks , though the younger one who is more like me and acts quick on his emotions has had more of it. I am always astounded at how much Anger that little phone they carry around can cause at work when they aren't even near the source of the irritation.

However, Sarno's gift keeps on giving and they both understand the principles and have overcome a wide variety of pain outbreaks... some of it in weird places that never got me. I can always get a good idea what it is because I keep tabs on their lives (GF's, Jobs, Gigs, Money etc) BUT I never solicit help unless they ask... TMS is a lot like Indian Poker... usually everybody else can see the conflicts in our lives, but since we are conditioned to 'cope with it' it is oftentimes invisible to us.

your in the right place!

ssxl4000 likes this.