1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MelissG, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MelissG

MelissG New Member

I totally accept the diagnosis of TMS. I began having back pain in 2001, when I lifted a mattress. I went the normal medical route and saw doctors, physical therapists and suffered back spasms when stressed. After reading Dr. Sarno’s book Mind Over Back Pain in 2005, I became pain free and a total believer in Dr. Sarno’s work. On several occasions I have had my pain briefly return. Right now is one of the worst events I have had, where even standing is painful. And right in the middle of a busy work time where I am working 12-14 hour days. Not unhappily, or so I think… sure there are certain aspects of the job that are stressful, one of them meant to occur today, when I find myself nearly bedridden, barely able to lift a loaf of bread. My doubts and worries are that I will spend the next few weeks in pain, perhaps unable to work, which, given my need to make others happy perfectionistic tendencies, stresses me out even more!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya MelissG and Welcome to the Wiki,

It is great to hear that you were able to recover once already and are familiar with TMS. Use this to build up confidence that this will work again and that you will be able to recover. Also, just because you like your job, doesn't mean it can't cause you stress. One way to view it is that if you love your job, you may feel bad if you have negative feelings about it and you may not really accept those negative emotions, and thus have TMS. It sounds like you are working a lot, so there may be something to this. Try making a list of everything that you don't like about work and your job tasks. Something may come up that is triggering your symptoms.

You are not the first person to have a relapse, so don't feel alone. The people in this community have been there before, and you are in the right place. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

best,

Forest

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Melissa:

Welcome aboard! I too had an incident where I had lower back pain starting in 2001 - but didn't discover Dr. Sarno until last summer. I've done the work provided here on the wiki and found it really helpful. Although your job sounds like it takes a lot of time, perhaps you could try it as a "refresher course" and find like Forest suggests, what is stressing you out.

Hope you'll feel better soon (and share that secret when you do!)

BG

4. MelissG

MelissG New Member

Thanks Forest and BG for your words of encouragement. You may have something there Forest with the job, I will give that more thought. My job doesn't always encompass so many hours every day, but it is a big commitment which takes me away from friends and family. I know that I can overcome the back pain once again, and I will be able to focus more time on it next week. Thanks again!

5. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Melissa,

I hear you. Even though I like what I do it takes up a lot of time and there are only so many hours in a day.

Last night I decided to write out a list of things I want to be doing and decided I'm going to try to make those things the priority and fit everything else in around them instead of the other way around. We'll see how it goes.

Perfectionism definitely makes things tougher. Someone else could be working 12 hours at that job and not really caring and they wouldn't get as depleted.

It's great that you overcame back pain --if you did it once you can do it again.

:) Veronica

6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

And I too have a life that has too much in it. There it too much work for just me. Trying also to figure out a way to enjoy my summer (we own a business and summer is our big time) and get things done as well. AND FINALLY GET RID OF MY TMS. Sorry had to yell. Getting tired of this neck/shoulder pain.

But the GOOD news is Melissa, my lower back pain is gone. I rarely if ever notice it. Now it's my neck and shoulder. You probably know that if the pain moves, this is a good thing! Although I am excited, it's a lot harder to move around with a bad arm.

But getting my priorities straight for the upcoming season (lots of time with my dog is at the top of the list) I think will finally kick this out the door for good.

Spending a lot of down time is really key. What were you doing in '05? What was different then than it is now? Perhaps simply writing down the changes of the past 6 years will bring you to the place you want to be. Pain free!

Good luck!

BG