1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Catred, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Catred

Catred Newcomer

My problems started fairly suddenly with burning bladder pain but no one could find anything wrong. This was just as we were going into the first lockdown. I realised that I was having some burning in my feet and legs and thought the whole thing was probably a spinal nerve problem. Then I began with burning in both legs and down my arms and in my neck. This was at a time when I was under severe strain mentally. As a family we had had a year of problems- my brother had a heart attack, my niece died, one son was suffering from depression and struggling at school, the other was unable to find a job post university. To finish it off my husband was having a bit of a midlife crisis and having lied to me about something,I thought he had been having an affair. When my symptoms started he was away in America and I was worried he may not be able to get home. The world was going crazy with COVID-19. I completely fit the personality profile of TMS sufferers. Looking back, no wonder I got TMS, which is increasingly what I am coming to believe is the problem. At the time, my whole body tension was enormous and I knew that was contributing to my pain, but just thought I needed to find a way to let go of it all.
    I was referred to our local musculoskeletal service but any help was pretty non existent and very slow, while my anxiety was going through the roof and I was frantically trying to find something that would help my pain. An MRI showed disc bulges and degenerative changes in a number of areas and I have had private treatment by osteopaths, physiotherapists and chiropractors. I have improved around 50% but am still unable to do many of my normal activities and have a lot of fear of the pain, constantly reviewing what I have done each day and trying to see a correlation, correcting my posture and trying not to “overdo “ it.
    I am just starting my journey with TMS and am feeling positive atm. Reading what I have just written it makes perfect sense that this is TMS. I have read John Sarno’s book and have stopped doing my exercises and stretches and cancelled my chiro appointment. I am talking to my brain and trying to just allow the pain to be there but it’s scary! I’m worried about being wrong and ending up back where I began, when I was in terrible pain and felt suicidal, but I’m determined not to give in