1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dusty67, Mar 20, 2015.

1. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

This is Day 1 of the program but I have been spending a lot of time this past week or so reading, asking questions, researching and applying different strategies that I've been recommended. So far so good! After a year of being flat out on disability with back pain (spreading all over to many other areas and moving around minute to minute) I am finally seeing some small changes in my pain levels. The burning in my legs for the most part diminished (although today has been a bad day so its all come back again but I have faith I can chase it away) I think the biggest change this last week is that I have pushed myself out of my fear comfort zone many times and have found that I didn't have any more pain than before. A few times it did trigger the old pain but the biggest one was sitting. I have never been able to sit more than a couple of minutes without excrutiating burning nerve leg pain. I have been sitting for hours every day now with no leg symptoms at all (except today like I said as I sit here its nasty but I got pretty emotional about it all earlier and think I triggered more pain with my anxiety) I used to walk at a snails pace in fear of tripping or tweaking my back. Now Im walking everywhere fast...despite the numbness and intermittent nerve pain in my legs. I am determined to get my life back.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi dusty67,
    Thank you for the inspiring report. Your progress is huge!!

And the way you are dealing with the parts that aren't responding is great: "not catastrophizing" or letting fear get to you too much. So many breakthroughs. I guess you saw Alan's idea of list of all the times you did not feel pain, when you expected it, and also, with your observations that when you pushed yourself out of your fear zone, the symptoms did not increase. I had a wonderful breakthrough like that, pushing my bicycle in the mud, worried it would make my feet feel terrible the next day. Right that moment I sat down and questioned all those beliefs. The next day my foot was fine.

Good luck in more and more ease!

Andy B.

dusty67 likes this.
  3. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

Thank you AndyB I love your story about the bike in the mud. It really does feel amazing to challenge a habitual thought pattern and prove it wrong!! Today has not been the best but I will continue to push forward the best I can. Im actually excited for tomorrow to start work on Day 2. After I go for a really good workout at the pool :)

4. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Good for you dusty65, I have the same nerve pain in both legs, elbows and forearms as well and I have made great progress and have achieved 98 percent pain free recovery. I do flare up sometimes because I'm lazy with the journaling which is key to recovering. Keep up doing the work I hope to hear about your improvements in the weeks to come!

dusty67 likes this.
  5. Stella

Stella Well known member

You may know that your pain can get worse starting this program. Your mind wants to distract you, keeping you focused on the physical pain and away from the emotional pain.

You tell the pain that no matter what you do I am going down this path. And I know I can do it.

You can do it and you will get better.
    Welcome

dusty67 likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Dusty. Your progress is wonderful to read and a real inspiration to everyone.
    Stella, Andy, and Alexandra gave great replies.

You are doing everything right... starting the SEP and journaling.
    Don't forget deep breathing from the diaphragm. It's so relaxing.

dusty67 likes this.