1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 15 ... HELP needed.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Michael Reinvented, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

I am in the vortex of Psychological pain.

Has anyone else experienced a huge wave of (physical) Symptoms at about this stage? I took last week off to have some "me" time away at an idyllic beach house, gradually tried to increase (walking) activity by not fearing pain as I have.

I have made "I have TMS, it's harmless, I will exercise to show my Brain this and who's in control just keep going", my mantra

Back at work today to my business, with a few minor dramas needing attention as could be expected after an absence.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

If you haven't yet, read Breaking the Pain Cycle. It is very common for your unconscious to increase symptoms as you make progress. Remember your unconscious thinks it is helping you by creating these symptoms. When it notices that you are beginning to investigate your emotions, it sometimes increases your symptoms to get you to focus back on your symptoms. I think also the fact that you went from being on vacation to going back to work can also lead to an increase. Anytime there is this change your unconscious can react in this way. Ask yourself how you feel about going back to work and review Sarno's daily reminders.

Having an increase like this can be very difficult, but it is only temporary. If you bring your focus back to the psychological, you will be able to overcome it.

Terry likes this.
  3. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

Thanks Forest.

Alan Gordon's article is powerful ammunition against the sub conscious mind. I was sufficiently desperate to locate this myself just after posting my question. The notion (brand new to me) of an Extinction Burst is very logical.

Your reinforcment is much appreciated. I have added the following to my daily self talk to my subconcious mind:

"You can't fool me with these symptoms. I am more determined than you and will break this cycle of fear"!

Feels wierd writing about a conversation between 2 selves but thinking about it, long term chronic pain invariably shifts your persona into at least 2characcters... life pre pain and post..

I am grateful for the TMS Wiki.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Lala

Lala Well known member

I am so glad I read this post. i too am experiencing an upsurge and it can be soooo disheartening. I am going to read the article Forest suggested. thank you for your supportive words and for sharing.