1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 16 - Telling others you have TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Celayne, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Today's Question to Ponder was whether you have told people you have TMS and what their responses have been.

I've told some people, but I have been careful about who I have told. The people I have told are people who either are at least going to be polite even if they think it's a crock; people that I suspect have TMS and would benefit from hearing about it; or, people who I am sure will 'get it'. So, my responses have been positive.

The people I haven't told are people who are skeptics of anything that is not hard core conventional medicine. One thing that's always been hard for me is defending ideas to aggressive skeptics/deniers. Having conversations with someone like this about my TMS diagnosis will just end up with me saying, yeah, yeah you're right, even though I don't believe the skeptic, I say it just to shut them up. And then I'm angry with myself for being a wimp, and at them for being close-minded assholes. Also, I take attacks on an idea I believe in very personally. It's just a cluster-f***. I'm confident that this kind of behavior is significant in the development of my TMS symptoms, and I'm working on that. But meanwhile, my TMS diagnosis or any discussion of TMS goes only to a carefully chosen few.