1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 - Scared of movement, let alone exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hopevsheadaches, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Hopevsheadaches

Hopevsheadaches Newcomer

Hi Everyone,

So the last time I did what I class as exercise was back in May 2020. Oh by the way, my history is migraines, tension headaches and myofascial pain syndrone.

This was going to the gym before I tried to come off a medication which completely messed with my nervous system and I have been in a state of fear since then and very high anxiety. Before that I could work out for an hour in the gym and no pain. Since that experience, even taking a short walk of 500 steps induced pain but I can now see that the reason this induced so much pain was that I had 10/10 fear about moving. Emotionally I was terrified and physically I felt the pain of that terror in my body later on. However, the pain always, always comes 3-4 hours later. It's like I am waiting for it and when it comes I am like 'oh there you go!'.

Since I had to stop cleaning the house and I have not done much apart from some occasional walking. I've made it to 2000 steps before without knowing and funnily enough when I am not thinking I am exercising then I don't get pain.

Since reading Alan's book and now starting mind over medicine I see that there is nothing physically wrong with me and I have more confidence in going for a walk and moving more since May 2020. So I am thinking about starting it soon now. Additionally, the shoulder pain that caused me pain using during exercise has since gone since starting the TMS work which is such a huge success for me because I was going to the physio every week and now I have stopped. So I need to focus on the wins..... Sending you all a safe brain day :) x

Ryan and Baseball65 like this.