1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. Dealing with doubt

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Eastcoast, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Eastcoast

Eastcoast New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi,
    I'm trying so hard, but I still have doubts inside me that my herniated discs are what's causing my pain.
    I understand fully that I've had them there for a long time, and that when I put something heavy down 3 months ago, I felt the pain. I know that it doesn't make sense to blame this pain on herniations, but I keep hearing my docs voice, and seeing the MRI in my mind! How do I stop it???? Help!!

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi there Eastcoast, thanks for the question.

Doubts around causality and a preoccupation with structural issues is probably the most common issue that people run into. I see it in one form or another with basically 100% of my clients, so you are in good company. It is very important for you to do what you can to gather evidence that can help you feel certain about what is going on for you. Speaking with doctor that is familiar with TMS is a hugely impactful intervention. An MRI that shows mild herniation might not be enough to explain the kind of symptoms you feel, but if your physician is familiar with Mind-Body syndrome, then they could well focus on what they see and if all they see is the herniation then they will think that it's the main event. Converesely, a TMS physician will not hesitate to tell you if what they see on the MRI could be responsible for you symptoms. This can give you clarity one way or another and I think it's a very important step.

Once you have taken it, you can begin working on the conditioned fear response that your back pain triggers. You have to remember that it's not about stopping the fear, but understanding that it is an ingrained pattern that is driven by the pain. By understanding that the purpose of the pain is to create fear and preoccupation, you can then begin to question that process and get some relief from that fear.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Eastcoast

Eastcoast New Member

Thanks a lot! I actually have a Skype meeting with a TMS Doc tomorrow. I hope I have Tms:(!

4. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Good luck! Hope you will let us know how it goes.

5. Eastcoast

Eastcoast New Member

Great news everyone, there is nothing wrong with me! The Doc said one hundred percent Tms. I'm just thrilled that its in my head, and not a real problem!
    I am in construction, and I use my back all day. The Doc said to continue lifting and bending through the pain to teach my mind that I'm fine. Anyone have some good tips for me?

Yinlin and Lavender like this.
  6. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

hi East coast , how did you find your on line TMS doctor . was it a one of appointment to diagnose you.?
    Nelle

7. Eastcoast

Eastcoast New Member

Hi, I was looking at the Tms Doc list and I emailed a couple of them. His was the most suportive, kind and genuine answer that I got. It was more like a chat than an appointment, and I will always appreciate that time he gave me.

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great news! Which TMS physician did you skype with?
    Thanks.

stubbins7856 likes this.
  9. stubbins7856

stubbins7856 New Member

I too would like to know which doc!

10. stubbins7856

stubbins7856 New Member

Did it cost money?