1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with overwhelm when facing feelings

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by gazelle, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gazelle

gazelle New Member

Hi,

I've recently realized that I have a new manifestation of TMS and it has brought me back into the whole TMS world. I also think my chronic insomnia might be a manifestation of TMS so I decided that I wanted to uncover all my feelings, past events, traumas etc etc. Every morning when I woke I wrote for 20-30 minutes and also researched shadow work. Then I started to feel overwhelmed, depressed, unable to work, function, cope. I started overeating - something that I got on top of some years ago.

So basically I took a week off - I had plenty of work to do anyway - and gave myself a vacation from thinking about this stuff. One week later and I feel emotionally better but have severe back pain and an injury.

Does anyone have any tips about walking the fine line between overwhelm and suppression?

2. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello -

My experience was very similar. I followed Dr. Sarno’s recovery program from the Divided Mind and I quickly became overwhelmed and I didn’t know what to do with all of this those feelings.

I believe that we need psychodynamic methods (Freud / Jung / digging into the “why” as Sarno suggests). But then, I believe cognitive behavioral therapy helps you cope (Dr. Burns and others). Books such as “When Panic Attacks” (I don’t get panic attacks but the methods help anyone) and “Feeling Good” have helped me immensely.

My psychiatrist recommended “When Panic Attacks” and Dr. Hascom, a popular blogger on this forum, recommends “Feeling Good”. The crux is that the journaling helps you uncover feelings and patterns that may not serve you anymore. Dr. Burns then gives you tools to help break the cycle and make a different choice (when you are beating yourself up over something for example).

The trouble between these two schools of thought is that each one thinks the other is baloney. I think each has their place.

Good luck,
    AC45

3. gazelle

gazelle New Member

Thank you. I'll look into those books/resources.

I've proved that I need to "look into" these issues, I just need to find a way of not drowning in the process.

4. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi Gazelle,

I can relate. I felt like I was drowning too. Taking it in waves (as you are doing) is good. Also know that you have people here in this forum who will support you.

AC45

5. gazelle

gazelle New Member

You know I really like the idea of doing it in waves. I feel ready and enthusiastic, go at it for a bit, then need a break. I just tend to think I shouldn't have breaks. Thanks!