1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Depression anxiety and pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by valeria, Mar 20, 2023.

1. valeria

valeria New Member

Hi

I’m from Milan, Italy. So first of all apologize for my English. I’m 56. Suffered from anxiety on/off since I was 25, along with some bouts of depression. Suffered from ibs as well since my twenties

I hit menopause lately, lost both parents and my brother in 2020-2021.

since last summer my anxiety has worsened cannot sleep and barely eat, depressed. Im on psych meds which are not helping.

And even if my ibs is not flaring up lately, I have this weird symptom: the sensation of having a tennis ball or something in my rectum. I feel like my anus is heavy. Doesn’t hurt too much but the discomfort is driving me crazy. It’s like I need the restroom all day long but nothing happens. This also triggers my anxiety in a vicious circle.

Seen gastroenterologist, gynae , Gp, proctologist

Performed rectoscopy, all exams to rule out cancer or any inflammatory disease. Nothing. Everything comes back clear .

The TMS test score is 24.

Don’t know what to do.

Cannot cope. Please help

Thank you

BruceMC likes this.
  2. Louise D

Louise D Peer Supporter

Hi, Valeria. I'm new here and I'm sure that there are others out here who may be more helpful, but what you shared reminded me of something I read about several years ago. I was experiencing pelvic symptoms that I am quite sure were TMS. During that process, however, I saw a lot of medical professionals and did a LOT of reading online about anything and everything related to the pelvic region, trying to understand what was going on. When you said it feels like there is a tennis ball in your rectum, I remembered a particular syndrome called levator ani syndrome. I believe that levator ani syndrome is a manifestation of TMS. I encourage you to check it out. I'm so sorry for the losses you have gone through and so close together. That is a lot to deal with in such a short time.

valeria and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Valeria, you are in the right place, there are many people on this forum who will chime in to help you out! Best of luck to you!

From what you are describing, you have TMS. Anxiety is one of the TMS symptoms, and a strong indication that if untreated, it may progress to other symptoms as well. You should look at the audios and books by Dr. Claire Weekes, one of the main authorities on anxiety: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Claire-Weekes/author/B001HOT92I
    Dr. Weekes saved many people on this forum, me included. I also did a lot of meditation in addition to Dr. Weekes audios. As anxiety subsided, other symptoms went away, too.

valeria likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

My friend in Italy has TMS. It took a long time to understand this, and caused him many medical problems, mainly like IBS. He could not find a psychiatrist to help with his anxiety for a long time but now is using an EMDR therapist which help. Dr. Sarno’s books are translated in Italian.
    Because my friend could not find a tms therapist he uses a set of mind body cards which are only for Italy. They help him a lot with the tms “work” feeling his emotions, and not fearing his symptoms. He bought the cards at a book store.
    I hope this helps!

valeria likes this.
  5. valeria

valeria New Member

6. valeria

valeria New Member

Thank you everyone. sorry Cactusflower, what do you mean by ‘cards’? What are they?