1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does Everyone have TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dusty67, Mar 26, 2015.

1. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

I would think that in the Western World anyway, most if not all, humans repress feelings. Anger, guilt, shame, fear, hurt etc. Why doesn't everyone have TMS? I look at my father who has had a very rough upbringing with abuse and being left alone for days at the age of 5, scared and hiding behind his kitchen cabinets in the dark. (he still has nightmares from it) He just turned 90. He is as healthy as an OX. (He did have a heart attack 3 years ago and triple bypass surgery as his arteries were blocked due to plaque build up....Surgeon said it was from years of poor diet...too much salt, fatty foods and his sweet tooth). He works out with his heart foundation group 3 days a week. Still travels to Europe, Hawaii...goes for walks. Drives everywhere. No pains. He even fell out of an airplane when he was training for a mission for WW2...he landed in a lake and broke his back and wrist. No residual pain. He's got more energy and positivity about life than I do. Why is TMS so selective? I would be interested to hear some views on this......just a thought that entered my TMS'ing brain :)

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

His positivity is protecting him. Personality traits are a big factor in TMS.

Lizzy and dusty67 like this.
  3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Perhaps that is what is doing me in..........i'm a negative Ned if there ever was one, everyone that knows me would heartily agree to that.

dusty67 likes this.
  4. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

Thanks Ellen....never really thought about that! Yes he definitely has a great outlook on life. Was trying to wrap my head around it.....that really makes sense now. Im a worry wart, perfectionist, people pleaser....hence my TMS.....he's just older and doesn't give a crap Ha!!! Thank you!

5. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

When I was younger I felt bulletproof....as a lot of us do. I was the picture of positivity. Everything seemed to roll off my back and I woke up every day with a smile and couldn't wait to see what the day would bring. I retained a childlike excitement for things in life and took pleasure in the simplest passtimes well into my adult life. Made my friends sick I was so darn happy all the time. Ha! Then responsibility, marriage, kids and career happened.....bringing with them a multitude of stressors. Along with loss of family members and other family illnesses (mine included) my Que Sera Sera attitude slowly started to change. I began the transformation into a worry wart and negative nelly just like my Mother. Im really going to work on my attitude now and getting back to learning how to not sweat the small stuff. Im sure easier said than done but boy I was a whole lot happier back then. Actually I applied the "I don't care" attitude today to my pain that came back 2 days ago and now its really diminished. I actually feel really Lucky to have TMS as its waking me up to the fact that I've been a miserable cranky &*^% the last few years feeling sorry for myself... and its about time to start being grateful for all that I have and LIVE life again. Soon to be pain FREE!!

Lizzy, lexylucy and mdh157 like this.
  6. 3rdCoast

3rdCoast Peer Supporter

Interesting observation about TMS and who gets it. I envy those who are at ease thinking of themselves first. A foreign concept for me that can result in a mountain of guilt. It’s definitely time to be grateful and live. Peace.

Lizzy and dusty67 like this.
  7. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

This is a fascinating topic. I think our brains are really different. It is perhaps a combination of past experiences and our type of brain/habits. They've done studies on people who have OCD or people that are alcoholic and quite often certain parts of their brain are not getting enough activity and blood flow. It is the same with TMS maybe. It it's so strange. More and more I think I need to rewire my internal patterning :) Affirmations can help!

dusty67 likes this.