1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Doubts regarding physical X psychological cause of pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Miro, Apr 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Miro

Miro Newcomer

Hello,

I am quite open minded but I still have some doubts about TMS that might prevent me from healing, can you please answer my question?

As so many other people, my neck pain started with an injury. I cant help but think the cause of the pain is physiological because of the following experience: During an excercise in the past it happened that something cracked back into the right place and the pain was gone. Then days later during another exercise and unfortunate movement it cracked back into the previous position and the pain was back. It doesnt seem serious, just a tendon/ligament thing, but causes quite some tension and pain. Do you think such case can be psychological when it obviously seemed to change with a physical "crack" in the past? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Miro

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Miro,

It does make sense, your correlation of the symptoms with "physical stuff happening." We've all been there. I recall getting treatment for whiplash and having the chiro do a "neck unwind" which I then blamed on my chronic pain for about the next 6 months ---because the pain went up during the procedure.

It took a long time, and a debilitating foot problem, and luck and grace for me to finally find Dr. Sarno's method and apply it.

My best advice is to not be afraid of the symptom, dismiss with compassion your attachment to the event correlating to the pain, and moving forward with your self-treatment.

Dr. Sarno spoke of many cases where a "cracking sound was heard, along with pain" at the start or re-start of symptoms. He wasn't sure why the sound was heard, but he and his patients learned it meant nothing as their pain went away. It is the fear of that sound which is harmful.

Andy

TG957 and Miro like this.