1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Doidge - The Brain's Way of Healing

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by mike2014, Sep 16, 2015.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Thanks for posting this Mike. My favourite sentence was, "my brain really can turn off pain".

3. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so interesting Mike, thanks for sharing. Must get that book!

4. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Please has anyone read this book? If so would appreciate your opinion on it. I have almost a complete library of books on mindbody syndrome so not sure if this book would prove to be anymore helpful in understanding what besides increasing my activities meditation and affirmations can I do to create new neuro pathways. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Abbo

I have recently finished this book. To be honest, I read it because I'm currently caring for someone with traumatic brain injury, not because I wanted to further my knowledge of mind body disorders. The Brain that Changes Itself was Doidge's first book about neuroplasticity but I happened to find the second book in a sale of Kindle editions.

The first chapter is about how a psychiatrist, Michael Moskowitz, overcame a chronic pain condition. If you are interested in the methods discussed in that first chapter, you can save your pennies and check out the website that details Moskowitz's method, http://www.neuroplastix.com (Home | Neuroplastix) The rest of the book is fascinating even when it got a bit technical for me. The case studies focus on people with structural damage and those with neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease. There are a few notable points made in the book that I did find relevant to TMS though such as a discussion about learned non-use say of your hand or an activity like walking. The author also talks about the power of visualisation, a topic that's come up a few times on the forum.

I would also caution that if you or anyone else has a tendency towards health anxiety, you might find this book could trigger it because of all the conditions mentioned. A couple of times the author cites a particular therapy or device being used to treat fibromyalgia. Having read enough success stories from those who overcame fibro symptoms, I didn't really take much notice. It certainly didn't deter me from enjoying the book.

Cap'n Spanky, mike2014 and Gigi like this.
  6. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Yb44 many thanks for your opinion and advice re Norman Doidge book. Whilst I do not have any structural issues or fibromyalgia (I do have myofascial pain syndrome) I am a very anxious person so will take your advice re the web site you suggested. I am always so grateful for the help I receive on this forum and despite having a therapist I really don't know how I would have coped without it. The walking part interested me as I am slowly increasing my walks (up to 2 miles am and 1 1/2 pm) and it is encouraging to hear him say walking can make new cells one neuro pathways. Thanks again. Hope you have had success with your healing.

7. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh one other thing that I remembered about that first chapter. Doidge uses the word 'relentless' numerous times in describing how dedicated one must be to follow Moskowitz's method. I thought at the time that this was contrary to what I had found helpful. When I tried to heal with that level of relentlessness, I both failed and gained. I made the problem worse but I learned a valuable lesson. Chill out and don't try so hard.

Yes, very optimistic views on neuropathways. Great stuff.

8. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Thanks again. Every bit of info greatfully received. Chilling is not easy for me I'm afraid. How I wish I could be more like my husband, his motto all his life has been ' I don't do rush'. Now I understand how right he was!

9. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Great interview! I went ahead and bought his book and am looking forward to reading it. Found another interview with him and the most memorable part to me is at about 21 min, where he says: "you measure the success of that day by thinking of how much effort you put into it..... not by how much of your pain went away".