1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Sarno is retiring. Help create a tribute.

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I am sad to say that I recently received word from one of Dr. Sarno's most trusted colleagues that Dr. Sarno will be retiring. His last day of seeing patients will be April 25, 2012. While this is very sad news, it is a testament to his incredible dedication to his patients that he has continued to practice until the age of 88.

Words can in no way describe the gratitude that we feel toward Dr. Sarno. As someone who suffered from chronic pain and was able to regain my life through Dr. Sarno's discoveries, I am just one of millions who know first hand the lasting impact his life's work has had on so many people. He has provided us with knowledge that, like penicillin, helped us regain our lives back. While Dr. Sarno will no longer be seeing patients, his ideas, through both his four books and the practitioners who trained under him, will continue to spread and be of help to individuals across the globe.

Potential new patients will be referred to Ira Rashbaum, MD, an attending physiatrist at the NYU-Langone Medical Center. Dr. Rashbaum was a contributor to "The Divided Mind" and has worked closely with Dr. Sarno over the years.

As a way to pay homage to Dr. Sarno, several people whose lives he transformed have been developing a collection of images and thank you messages in a leather bound photo book to present to Dr. Sarno as a retirement gift from the entire TMS Community. Our goal is to have the TMS Community show Dr. Sarno our deepest thanks and appreciation for all that he has done for us. The project is formally called, Thank You Dr. Sarno: A collection of personal messages about how your life's work has changed our lives.

Two of Dr. Sarno's most trusted psychologists, Dr. Fran Sommer Anderson and Dr. Eric Sherman, have graciously agreed to deliver the book to Dr. Sarno, on behalf of the entire TMS Community, on or around April 25. The idea is to create a tangible object Dr. Sarno, and his grandchildren, can hold in their hands and see just how many lives he touched. The Thank You, Dr. Sarno project has been under development for about six months now, but when we recently heard of Dr. Sarno's impending retirement, it was decided that delivering the gift on his last day would make a wonderful and fitting retirement gift and tribute.

Contributions for this project can be sent to thankyoudrsarno@tmswiki.org . Contributions should consist of a personal image and/or a brief thank you message. (No financial contributions will be required as the project is already fully funded.) All contributions will also be placed on a web page, so we can have a powerful and special public testimonial to all of the lives he has changed. For more information about the project please visit Participating in the Thank You Project and Thank You, Dr. Sarno. These pages include further instructions on how to make a submission and other contributions that you can use as an example.

This is a great opportunity to give back to Dr. Sarno, who has given us all so much. Dr. Sarno's last day seeing patients will be a sad one. Hopefully, this gift will let him know how incredibly meaningful and beloved his work has been. We wish him a long and wonderful retirement. He has most definitely earned it!

Sincerely,
    Forest

Edit:
    Enrique has contributed the following short video, illustrating the project:

2. Susie

Susie New Member

I tired to send a note and photo to the email address you gave and it wouldn't go through.
    Do you have it right?
    Susie

Forest likes this.
  3. Forest

Oops! I just realized that the problem is a typo on my part. :) I wrote tmskwiki.org rather than tmswiki.org, so your email bounced. The correct address is thankyoudrsarno@tmswiki.org . I've gone back into my original post to fix it.

Thanks for sending in your contribution! The more people we have the more moving a document it will be.

Rinkey likes this.
  4. Rinkey

Rinkey Peer Supporter

Keep the thank you letters and photos coming everyone!
    The book is looking great.

5. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

very cool idea. I hope others carry on his work.

Forest likes this.
  6. Forest

It is great to see so much excitement for this project. :)

To see all of the messages we've received go to thankyoudrsarno.org .There are some very heartfelt messages there, so check it out! We will also be updating our Facebook Page with the newest entries, so Like Us to stay up to date.

We would love to have more contributions so if you have a moment feel free to send along your own thank you message to thankyoudrsarno@tmswiki.org

7. Rinkey

Rinkey Peer Supporter

And along with your Thank You you can send us a photo too!

8. rick sammon

rick sammon New Member

Dr. Sarno is amazing! He totally cured me.

Also... I think you'd get a lot more comments if one did not have to log in and type in a code, etc.

Thank you,
    Rick

9. KMC NJ

KMC NJ New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site. I am a patient of Dr. Sarno's and have read all of his books. I have tried to get friends to go see him. In short, I love him! I am very sad to hear that he is retiring - I had no idea until I saw the posting, and I just talked with him last week! I will send in a tribute. He has done so much and has meant so much to me and to my idea of health. He has made a difference.

Karen

Enrique and Forest like this.
  10. Forest

Rick, I'm so glad to hear about your recovery. He truly is an amazing man and transforms lives. I hope you'll consider submitting your story to the program. It sounds like you've got a great one. Directions can be found by going to www.thankyoudrsarno.org and clicking on "Add Your Thank You"

I'm sorry about the difficulty you had logging in. Unfortunately, we get a lot of forum spam, so we have to have something to keep out the spammers. I'll take a look and see what I can do to make it easier.

Karen, thank you so much for your kind offer to contribute and for taking the time to join the site and support our cause. Dr. Sarno truly is a wonderful man. We all owe him so much.

11. KMC NJ

KMC NJ New Member

Hi Forest,

What is the deadline for contributing? I want to make sure I have it done on time.

Has anyone been in touch with Howard Stern and John Stossel about the retirement and the tribute request? I have sent the 20/20 link to many people.

Thanks for making this site possible.....I'm bookmarking it!

Karen

12. Forest

Hiya Karen and Welcome to the Wiki,

Since we want to deliver the book to Dr. Sarno on April 25th, we have set a rough deadline for contributions to April 9th. We would love to have a thank you message from you.

I don't think anyone has been in touch with Howard Stern or John Stossel, but it would be great if we could set that up! It would be a huge boost to the project. If anyone has any ideas on how to reach them feel free to let us know.

I am so excited to see such a positive reaction to this project. We are creating an amazing tribute that will last for a long time.

13. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hi Everyone!

Here's a video of what the actual leather-bound book will look like:

Rinkey and Forest like this.
  14. Forest

I just watched your video again, Enrique, and it looks really great. The book is going to be really gorgeous and I'm quite excited about the web site as well. Many thanks to you, Rinkey, Pandamonium and BrianLeeJackson for making this possible. As a team, it is amazing what we can accomplish!

Enrique and Rinkey like this.
  15. KMC NJ

KMC NJ New Member

Hi Forest, thanks for letting me know about the deadline. In townhall.com there is an email link for John Stossel (limited characters) so I sent him this link, but not sure it was sent or will get to him. Not sure about Howard Stern.

Does anyone have any ideas...or connections?

Enrique, the books looks great so far!

Karen

16. Enrique

Karen, Thanks! BUT... I can't take the credit for the book. Rinkey's doing most of the legwork... I just created the video and posted it. :D

17. KMC NJ

KMC NJ New Member

Hi Enrique - well it looks good. Good job to Rinkey, too.

I just emailed the Howard Stern show.....again, not sure if it will get to anyone, but included this link in both emails (to John Stossel and Howard Stern).....would be great if they contributed!

Forest and Enrique like this.
  18. Enrique

That's awesome!!

19. KMC NJ

KMC NJ New Member

20. Forest

KMC - It is awesome that you emailed the Howard Stern Show and John Stossel. There is always the off chance that one of them will see the link to the site and be interested. Even if Howard Stern tweeted about the project it would still be a huge boost.

Your enthusiasm is getting me excited!