1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Scott Dye and his revolutionary theories for knee pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sienna, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hello Everyone,

Searching in the web... I think I found the "DR. Sarno for Knee issues", specially for patello-femoral pain.

I am going to summarize below some of his theory, and would encourage you to watch his conference on youtube:

Scott F. Dye on Why Your Knee Pain Diagnosis Stinks (And Why You’re Not Getting Better)
    You MUST watchthis. Honestly. TriAgain left the YouTube link in the comment section. When I finally got time to view the whole thing, Dr. Dye's remarks left quite an impression and actually left me wanting more.

This is unvarnished, straight-talking Scott F. Dye, who has been described as a “renegade knee theorist.” He calls himself a “surgical minimalist” as well. Most importantly, he has thrown his weight behind the only medical theory of understanding chronic knee pain (“the envelope of function”) that makes sense, at least to me.

The YouTube video is a 56-minute presentation (and q&a session) that he gave that I could write pages and pages about. Instead, I’ll just touch on some highlights.

* The worst cases of knee pain he sees are “iatrogenic.” That’s a very significant word to know. Because it means, basically, the surgeon caused the problem. Well, not the initial knee pain, but the surgery to “correct the problem” made it worse.

He shows a slide of several knees that went through multiple surgeries. Each knee got worse after all the operations.

* Chondromalacia is not a death sentence (he has asymptomatic grade three chondromalacia, he tells us). Also it’s not the same thing as patellofemoral pain syndrome. This common confusion clearly irks him; he even mentions that the Mayo Clinic website wrongly uses the two as synonyms.

“This is total and utter nonsense,” he says.

* Patellofemoral pain syndrome does NOT correlate with malalignment. There’s one study I usually cite as evidence to support this; he lists what appears to be a dozen or so studies.

What’s more, he makes the point that it’s dangerous to try to make adjustments based on perceived malalignment. He shows an X-ray where the kneecap looks tilted – but if you look at a different image that includes the cartilage too, you see the cartilage on the patella and end bone actually mate perfectly.

So what if a surgeon had gone in and tried to shave off some cartilage or perform a lateral release to “fix” that kneecap, which was actually perfect for that particular person? That’s how you get iatrogenic problems.

* He believes the key to understanding what’s wrong with painful knees is through a bone scan. This I find quite intriguing. I often thought that some kind of bone scan would have revealed the problem in my knees that the X-ray and MRI didn’t really detect.

(Yes, I blamed bad cartilage, and I still think there’s some truth to that, as excessive force on the joints may reduce the ability of cartilage to absorb shock, but I think a bone scan may have found other problems.)

* He is incredulous when talking about “PT Nazis,” who encourage patients to work through their pain threshold. I almost stood up and cheered. This approach is just nuts. I know it now, you should too, and Dye remarks, “This is just sickening.” He’s right. “No pain, no gain” makes sense for muscle growth, but not for a sore and aching joint.

* Then, finally, on being a surgical minimalist, he says “less is more.” He also conjures up a really neat image when he says, “Sometimes we surgeons have to get the pebble out of the shoe.” Notice the implied modesty there. This isn’t surgeon as superman, trying to remodel your entire joint. Rather, he’s trying to remove something small that doesn’t belong in a well-functioning joint.

Watch it. You’ll be glad you did.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=...uy7fjxVbR5FNCXv62-umHw&bvm=bv.135258522,d.d24

LDB3 likes this.
  2. pspa

pspa Well known member

A couple of years back, after becoming exasperated to put it mildly with all the conflicting diagnoses and recommendations about a knee problem I was getting from supposedly great orthopedists in the Boston area, I found Dr. Dye on the internet and ended up doing a long-distance consultation with him. I would not equate him to Dr. Sarno as he does not approach things from a psychogenic perspective, but he was helpful in the sense that he convinced me that in my particular case none of the (different) surgeries that had been suggested was appropriate. It's really frightening what can happen to you when you go to see even a doctor with a great reputation.

Sienna likes this.
  3. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    Sienna likes this.
  4. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    Sienna likes this.
  5. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Yes I understand it is a different theory, but as Pspa mentioned, makes you think how scary is that Doctors with a great reputation might propose surgery and we do believe them.

BeWell, I agree with that, I now understand that pain cannot came from cartilage as it does not have nerves.. the bone does, as well as the synovial bag.. which can be very painful when irritated...