1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of a higher power on TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jawarrior1, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Hey guys, I have a friend who has physical chronic pain.

I told her about TMS and explained unconscious rage and it's effects on the mind body connection.
    After talking about her recent traumatic events she says she felt blessed and had no continuing emotional harm to it because she got out of it, and she thanked a higher power.

What has literature said about the effects of gratitude to a higher power on TMS? Is the denial of emotional harm effective, or is it just a form of repression?

Amongst all my closer friends and family this has been the common response between them and they reject TMS theory as a potential cause of pain.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

It's wonderful that you want to help your friend.

I haven't seen any literature about the effects of gratitude or faith to a higher power on TMS. It is an interesting question. There were two people on the Forum who were quite active in the past who wrote a book called "God Does Not Want You to be In Pain". I haven't read it so I'm not sure if it addresses your question.

https://smile.amazon.com/God-Does-N...+want+you+to+be+in+pain&qid=1629834165&sr=8-1

Repression refers to an unconscious process. So if a person is consciously denying that something is a problem, then I would say that is taking a position on something, rather than repression. With repression it would be outside their conscious awareness.

Just my thoughts on your questions.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

There were studies done on cancer survivors. Those who are religious have a better chance to beat cancer. I think there is something to it, as they have a more positive outlook on their chances to improve, due to their faith.