1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Emotions & Pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by BamBam, Oct 17, 2015.

1. BamBam

BamBam New Member

The question to ponder was do I recognize the emotions connected to my pain? I definitely notice that almost all the emotions I feel ultimately funnel down to one common feeling: not feeling like I'm good enough. Whether it's playing music, talking to girls, social interactions...I've always been worried that I wouldn't be good enough and therefore wouldn't be loved. I also recognize that these feelings stem from my dad dying when I was five. That experience left me feeling abandoned and subconsciously that I wasn't good enough. I think I developed various TMS symptoms from then on. I repressed anger because I didn't know how to deal with it. A few years later, my mom and I moved from California to a small town in Oregon, which was a huge culture shock. I was different than the kids in that small town. I had emotions and I didn't like the typical redneck activities that they enjoyed. I was made fun of and bullied a lot for the next 9 years of schooling. I learned to always be on the alert for someone to tear me down emotionally or some other hardship. I was always worried about what would go wrong. This affected my interactions with peers, girls, teachers, activities, you name it. I was always a little angry, depressed and insecure. I now recognize those were just ways TMS manifested in me. I think both my parents, but definitely my mom and some of my aunts had severe TMS symptoms my whole life, so that probably reinforced many of my behaviors. So now when I get pain, I recognize that it is most likely my inner child not feeling like he's good enough. So my job now is to re-mind him that he IS good enough. That he IS loved. That he IS safe and that if he makes a mistake, he will be okay. I never thought of myself as having negative self talk but I am now seeing all the numerous ways I constantly pressured, criticized and scared my inner child. No wonder I was in pain. No wonder my romantic relationships were always tarnished by jealousy, insecurity and anger. But I have to forgive myself. I did the best I could with the information I had at the time. The great news is that as I'm becoming mindful of these things. I can see a whole world opening up that I always saw in other people, but never knew how to achieve. I can have fun again. I can enjoy life without constantly worrying or fearing. I can feel these feelings and let go of them instead of pushing them down. I can be my biggest supporter instead of my biggest critic. I am so thankful for Dr. Sarno's work and this wiki. They are great recourses for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Zumbafan and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great post, BB.

3. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Such insights for you, particularly the abandonment and not feeling good enough ones. They are mine also. It is fantastic that you are doing the work. Happy days.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, BamBam. You have been doing a great job of understanding the emotional causes of your TMS. Your early life losing your father, moving to Oregon, not fitting in there, all left you feeling insecure and inferior. Thank Heaven you discovered Dr. Sarno ande TMS. The Structured Educational Program will help you to find ways to deal with your emotions. With anger, you have to forgive anyone and everyone who caused you distress.

I bet if you wrote down a list of your accomplishments, in school, work, and relationships, you will find that you accomplished a lot and will have more to accomplish. Relationships today are not very easy to handle for anyone under any circumstances. Girls I dated even years ago wanted me to propose on the first or second date. Some asked if I made a lot of money. Forget it. I stayed single and still am glad of it. I know very few happy marriages and those were the second time around. But think positive and keep looking for Miss Right. The Lord has a way of being matchmaker. Some good girls are out there looking for a guy as nice as you are.

You are in the positive now. Stay that way. Build on it.

BamBam likes this.